mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:11 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Crickets and other livefood can seem a bit daunting, particularly if you don't like insects! I commonly get asked if I know of any ways that they can be "handled" without actually needing to touch them, and without spending hours chasing individual crickets around with tweezers.

I used this morning's delivery of livefood to make this photo-guide to moving insects without the need to touch them.

Arrival and Unloading:

Crickets ordered in bulk by mail-order usually arrive in bags, like the one shown below, which are inside cardboard boxes:

Get an empty tank to put the crickets into. At this point, it should be completely empty.

Hold the bag vertically and give it a shake to ensure that all crickets fall to the bottom. Open the bag, and remove one of the egg cartons/newspaper balls that are usually inside. These will probably be covered in crickets, so do this over the tank:

Place this carton in the tank, and repeat until all of the cartons/newspaper has been removed:

Give the bag another shake to make sure there are no crickets near to the mouth of the bag. Pour the remaining contents into the tank, including the bran and crickets:

Once all of the loose substrate and crickets are in the tank, turn the bag upside down and, starting at the highest point (the actual bottom of the bag) tap/flick the bag to get any crickets clinging to the sides into the tank. It is possible to skip the first couple of steps and pour everything in - however this can lead to escapes/crickets getting squashed by the egg cartons. The consequences of an egg carton hitting the rim and bouncing out are also pretty unpleasant:

Once all crickets are in the tank, tilt the tank to about 45 degrees to get everything to one end. Add a shallow dish with a wet paper towel and some greens to the other end. Tilting the tank first ensures that no crickets will get trapped under the dish. This is the final result - 500 crickets in a tank with food and shelter, and not a single escapee:

Feeding to your Reptiles:

Getting the crickets from the tank, dusting them, and putting them in the cage with your reptiles can be a little daunting if you don't like insects.
Firstly, open the cage and pick up an egg carton with crickets on it. Gently shake some crickets off back into the tank until you are left with roughly the number you want. As long as you are fairly quick, the crickets should stay put on the egg carton, and not come near your hand:

Put the egg carton with crickets on into the top of a plastic bag:

Shake both the bag and egg carton, whilst still holding the egg carton as shown. I hold the carton between my first finger and thumb, and the bag between my ring finger and little finger. This will shake the crickets to the bottom of the bag, where they can't climb out. Put the egg carton back into the tank. These first steps can be repeated until you have the desired number of crickets in the bag:

The bag can be sealed and put in the fridge for a few minutes to slow the crickets down if your reptiles have trouble catching them.

Add Calcium or Vitamin powder directly to the bag if they are due to be dusted today:

Shake the bag to cover all the crickets in dust.

Pour the entire contents of the bag into a shallow dish in your pet's cage. We use small plastic plant pot trays. Once all of the crickets have been eaten/left the dish, you can remove the dish and reuse the Calcium or Vitamin powder. Powder that has been used once tends to be slightly damp, so should not be re-added to the tub of powder. It will usually keep for 24-48 hours in the bag before it becomes so damp that it starts to clump together:

At no point during this did I need to touch a single cricket!

I Hope this makes sense and is helpful to people who don't like insects!

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:05 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Thank you :D

I use one of these:

http://www.seapets.co.uk/product-detail ... /1085.html

The crickets crawl up the tubes and hide. You remove the tube, add the calcium, shake, and pour into feeding area. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:33 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

Hey just out of curiosity what doe's the ''sticky'' thing mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:22 am 
ADULT
ADULT

ThAtS a VeRy GooD TeChNiQuE, i DiD ThAt UnTiL I GoT ThE SaMe KiNd Of CoNtAiNeR As JIM, I LoVe ThAt CoNtAiNeR WiTh ThE BlaCk TuBeS :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

esmeralda wrote:Hey just out of curiosity what doe's the ''sticky'' thing mean?

It means that this thread will always be at the top of the 'Feeding Beardies' part of the forum.

We make a post 'sticky' when it is of good general interest which people may want to refer to again and to make it easier to find!

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:01 pm 
EGG
EGG

where do u buy the live food from
lynda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:14 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I've used several different places in the past depending on what I've needed, what they've had in stock, and prices. You could try Rick's Livefood, Livefoods.co.uk, Livefood Warehouse, Monkfield Nutrition etc etc - just type them into Google and you should find the sites.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:48 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

i have just given spike his 1st feed using the black tube thingy's lol he loved em and ate 6 -7 i don't no how to add dust without em escapin tube tho?? im such a girl about insects!! ive put dust on his veggies is that not enough?? do i need to add to crickets too :?

http://www.lillymaesappeal.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:46 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Shake the crickets into a plastic bag and put a pinch of dust in with them. Give them a shake and then feed them. People feed in different ways either in the viv or using a box in the viv or a big box out of the viv. We used to empty things out of the viv but he only had a small 2 foot one so it didn't take long. When he moved 'house' we continued to use the small viv for feeding. :D

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:02 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

can i use any bag??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:54 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

I use one of those thick plastic freezer bags as they have no holes and can use them a few times before it needs changing :lol: If you put the crickets in the fridge for 5/10 mins it slows them down and will make it easier for him to catch them (especially as he is so young).

Just as a further point, most people take a poop sample to the vet every 6 months/yearly to check for parasites.It is advised to do this as soon as you buy a beardie especially if your beardie is petshop bought as they have a higher chance of having them.Mine had parasites when we bought him so I know how easy it is for them to get them.The check up is around £20 and is well worth it :D

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:36 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

do i take spike or just poop?? n tonight he had no worries catchin em lol poor things didn't stand a chance he chased and ate 6 in bout 2 mins!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:06 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Like any other pet its always good for them to have a check up. We took Bob when he was about 3/4 months and they sexed him as well. We didn't know about taking a poop speciman so had ot post it too them as its quite a distance from where we live.

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:49 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

how many times a day should i be feeding him?? at min i feed in a morn with veggies which he doesn't touch then crickets which are gone in no time then more crickets at lunch and more at dinner is that right?? when will it be only 2 feeds a day?? :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd say you can drop to 2 feeds a day when 3 to 4 months old. If he is putting on weight and looking chubby then before then. When he is about 300g you can drop to one feed a day.

Always put the veg in there so he has something to nibble on, even if you don't think he is eating it.

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk