mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:41 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

I have a solitary cricket that has been in Spikey's viv for nearly 3 weeks now! Spikey can't catch it, I can't catch it and it's driving me insane! I hate crickets. I had to buy them when there was a lack of locusts over the last few weeks but Spikey missed it when it first went in and hasn't been able to catch it since, despite her trying.

She's chased after it a few times but it has just got under a rock before she's got to it and poor Spikey has bashed her nose on the rock.

It comes out every day when Spikey is asleep to eat her veg too :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:52 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

If there is veg in there at night time (Understandable so the cricket doesnt munch on spikey instead) and its got a warm, dark place to hide it will live for months.. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:57 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I hunt them down once all the lights are out. Uncover the viv and use a torch to spotlight them, then try and squash them with a stick of some sort before they can hide :shock: One of our cats knows when I'm hunting them and hangs about so that if they jump out of the viv she chases them down and eats them !!

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:01 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

MONTHS!!!!!! Oh no, I was hoping it would just die in a few days! I've tried catching it but it's so quick and jumps everywhere! Will just have to try and squash it. It's really fat, it's been munching through all Spikeys veg!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:24 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Buy yourself one of those little nets used to catch fish in fishtanks.. They are really cheap and do the job

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:17 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hairspray ! Nice and sticky and slows them down - not good for the viv though :cry:

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:04 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Daniel.. wrote:Buy yourself one of those little nets used to catch fish in fishtanks.. They are really cheap and do the job

I used that also and it does work , i also used to grab a handful of sand and throw it over the cricket aswell, that also slowed them down alot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:31 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

you could use a box to feed your beardie in. then when he/she have finished feeding you can but it back in the viv .
this way you wont have crickets in the viv over night. also you can see how many it eats at the same time.

MR.GARRY the new bearded dragon
ROXY the staff
GARRY the bearded dragon R.I.P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:07 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

dps wrote:you could use a box to feed your beardie in. then when he/she have finished feeding you can but it back in the viv .
this way you wont have crickets in the viv over night. also you can see how many it eats at the same time.

I know thats a good idea for some beardies but it's not appropriate for my beardie. She has long term issues due to previous mistreatment. She needs to eat her food in her viv. :)

She finally caught the troublesome cricket last night. it made the mistake of coming out at the same time I fed her locusts. She did look at it and was going to eat it, then a locust caught her eye so she dived after that instead. When all the locusts had gone it was still there so got eaten at last :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:49 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

They can be really fussy can't they. It's good to hear how well she is and how she's getting on. :)

Rick