Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanted for newbie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:47 am 
EGG
EGG

Hello

We have never owned a bearded dragon before but have decided as a family we would like to get one.

We are in the Bedfordshire area and are lookin. To purchase a set up if anyone is selling one ?

We have been reading this website which I have found some great info but if u have anything else u can tell us I would be much appreciated.

We have seen lots for sale which come with 1 year old + beardie but just wanted to know is it best to have one from a baby ??

Many thanks for you time

Kerry

Post subject: Re: Wanted for newbie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:52 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Babies are cute but quite a committment with feeding.

Many dragons are up for rehoming

An Abandoned beardie will probably not only come with setup but will be easier for first timers and just as rewarding.

Mine was two when we rescued him and settled in really well he is a real character.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:17 am 
EGG
EGG

So if we were to re-home one you think they would settle ok we were just worried incase they would be used to there owner and as we have children didn't know whether the younger the better ??

What would u say for us to look at with re-homing a beardie ??

Thank you for your response

Kerry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Both my Beardies were approx a year old when we got them , and iam personally so glad we did not get younger as the demand for food they have is very high and i dont think i could of kept up with it and afforded it !

I have 2 children who were 9 and 11 when we got our 2 babies and the dragons are fine with them, LIzzy adores her Daddy (the 9 year old) she always wants him and constantly watches him.

Beardies are very docile and have a wonderful temperament , we have had ours about a year now and never been bitten or even had any `warnings`. Spike got my finger once instead of the cucumber i was holding but that was my fault for holding his food on my finger 8) :D So just make sure you do all the feeding,iam assuming your children are young?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hello

My children are 11 & nearly 8 both are very good with animals I'm glad I have come on here tho as it has shown me so much I think we will definately look at re-homing an older one now I think we were thinking like I u were to have a dog with children your better off havin one from a puppy

Thank you for your replies

Kerry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:15 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Have a look on gum tree or pre loved :lol: often there is someone selling whole set up and dragon and often someone has been told (by a pet shop) have 2 and then found out they dont get on as Beardies are solitary animals only coming together to breed :lol: saying that there are the 'odd' few that do get on; and put on here your area and someone on the forum may have or know someone with a Beardie for sale :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Iwouldnt worry about then attaching to you most being rehomed are not well looked after due to ingmorance on the owners part or as has been said having to split them. once they settle in and you can handle them they will lap up your love and attention. Ours even has visits from next doors grandchildren who take him out to 'Play' on their shoulders he loves the attention.

Look for a fairy lively curious individual. If a viv comes with him you need a 48 inch one. wouldnt bother too much about the heat lamp as you can use a normal spotlight bulb and i would replace the uv light (about £15).

You can as said look on gumtree or preloved.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:03 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

My girlfriend spent a year childminding and the 2 girls she looked after absolutely adored Tia. They always wanted to help me feed her and get her out etc.. Was great as they even wanted to clean the poop! haha..

I personally would recommend getting one a little older maybe around a year. With youngs kids and school runs etc it could be hard work trying to feed a baby 3 times a day (up to around 70 crickets per day) (Not that im saying you wont be able to do it. Lol)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:12 pm 
EGG
EGG

They would be super skittish at a young age anyway, so an older re-homer would be best, I wish I bought a re-homed one, but felt so sorry for poor Sid stuck in a stupidly tiny viv.