mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New member
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:37 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi, new to the forum. My son has wanted a Bearded Dragon for the last couple of years and we have finally relented. We have been doing our homework and have decided to go with a 4' viv which we pick up this Saturday along with all the various bits and bobs inc thermostat, UV etc. The intention is to set up this weekend, get the temperatures sorted and pick up the new arrival at the end of the month (to be honest my wife and I are quite excited but have not let on!)

Everything seems reasonably straight forward and we have read various articles on the web. Main area of concern however is substrate- the guy in the shop has recommended beech chippings however some articles suggest sand (which I know is a no no for a young Beardie) and others advocate paper towel.

Any suggestions- The Dragon will be approx 6/7 weeks at time of collection.

2nd question- conflicting views on where to position the probe- hot end or cool end??
Any other top tips welcomed.
Many thanks

Post subject: Re: New member
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:31 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

For a dragon that young you need to use paper. I know it isn't exactly pretty but babies are notoriously inaccurate feeders and can get a mouthful of substrate as well as the cricket they are trying for,this can lead to impaction and death. Once they're around 6 months you can then safely change to a more natural base such as a mix of sandstone and play sand.
To get a decent heat gradient you need the probe on the thermostat at the cool end, this link should help nderstand how and why this is best viewtopic.php?f=8&t=397 .

Rick

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:55 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi and welcome to the forum. Kitchen towel is one of the best things to use, its easier to clean the poop up, you just change the sheet :P
Like Rick said have the probe at the cool end, this way the cool end is controlled, but its easier said then done :shock: It can take a couple of days, sometimes longer, for the temp to come up and settle, longer if you add logs and stones/bricks at different times. Good luck and let us know how you get on as we have all been there :D

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:00 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Welcome to the forum!

Wood/beech chips are not suitable for a beardie of any age - one chip can very easily get stuck and prove fatal. We used kitchen roll until ours was approx 6 months old and then put sandstone tiles (try B&Q if you are in the UK) inside the viv with playsand inbetween the cracks (ensure it is childrens fine playsand and not calci sand which is also a big no-no for substrate). Sadly most petshops seem to promote calci sand and wood chips for beardies (probably because they do not sell sandstone and playsand so can't make any profit!). Beardies can easily take mouthfuls of loose substrate when they are catching livefood, scattering their greens about and then eating them or licking things inside the viv (as they like to do) - over time this can build up inside and result in impactation which can be fatal if not treated properly.

Ask any questions you need to, we are always happy to help on here! :D

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:55 am 
ADULT
ADULT

hi and welcome no point in saying what i think cause everyone is saying it, a lot of pet shops say well where are they from (dessert) and then repeat sand is best but there not in the dessert here there in a tank, the amount of rubbish a petshop will tell u is untrue they just want a sale, ur best bet is this forum the people here have never been wrong for me always given right advice...good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:41 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks everyone- will definately be using kitchen towel. Will let you know how we get on.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:48 am 
ADULT
ADULT

ur best bet is this forum the people here have never been wrong for me always given right advice...

wonder if my check is in the post :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

lindyliz wrote:
ur best bet is this forum the people here have never been wrong for me always given right advice...

wonder if my check is in the post :lol:

Hmmm - nice try! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk