mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:44 pm 
EGG
EGG

hi ,im mike and i love bearded dragons!!iv owned other reptiles before and have loads of pets but no beardys YET!!!iv been looking to get a pair for months but have only just made the space!!iv been doing my research but have loads of Qs im sure ul all b able 2 anwser!!

Post subject: Re: hi
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:08 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi and welcome to the forum :D please do ask questions and read up about keeping a pair together.

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:07 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi and welcome to the forum! As Kathryn has said, please be careful putting two beardies together - beardies are solitary creatures and generally prefer to live alone. Two males will fight to their death and male and female WILL breed (you will need to ensure you have a healthy bank balance and plenty of spare vivs to house the babies!). We have seen (far too many times) on this forum where people have bought two and have either had to sell one or seperate them after a short while. Anyway, ask as many questions as you like as we are all friendly on here! :lol:

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:12 pm 
EGG
EGG

hi thanks for the replys!i thought it would be ok 2 get a pair as long as there around the same age and different sex!but if they are likely 2 fight il prob only get one then maybe another at a later date!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

It can be very difficult to sex beardies when they are young (some cannot be sexed until almost adult) therefore you could be getting any combination. Two males will not live together and two females may or may not - depends if they can agree a 'pecking order' between themselves :lol:

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:23 pm 
EGG
EGG

:roll: !! thats good 2 know!so when i go 2 buy some !!although the place im buying from seem 2 really know there stuff and i trust!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beware any advice given to you by a pet shop - you can usually trust advice if you buy direct from a reputable breeder.

Shops keep and sell and variety of reptiles, and although they might have general advice, often don't know specifics on each breed. That's at the best - at worst they are simply after your money, and persuading you to buy two beardies is more profit from them!

Beware of anyone who will guarantee the sex of a baby beardie - experienced breeders will never do this!

I've known pet shops who have told new owners that bearded dragons don't need UVB lights, that they need heat mats, and all manner of other advice guaranteed if not to kill the beardie, will have it living an unhealthy and uncomfortable life!

Best thing is to read up about beardies so you know as much as you can about their needs before going to buy one, or the equipment. That way you can save yourself wasted money. There's loads of advice on this forum to help you.

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:17 pm 
EGG
EGG

my local pet shop sells loads of animals including many reptiles but there is a chap i no working there who breeds dragons so i will b getting my dragons from him rather than the shop!!the shop is helping me with viv set up and sells food which i will need!!altho i went 2 pets at home earlier to get some dog food and found the store has been re-done and now sells dragons!!!the setups looked shocking!!they had nothing that you would need which i found a suprise so i quizzed some of the staff who knew NOTHING about what they were selling or what they needed!!!i was horrified and left!!there were people buying a viv and dragon at the same time!!
i was amazed how much ineeded 2 know and have learnt since wanting one!and theres still LOADS i need 2 no!!my viv will b set up for nearly a month b4 my dragon comes alone!!!