mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: new owner
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:52 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi me and my husband got our first bearded dragon yesterday. He is 8 weeks old and beautiful. We have got him all set up bought a full kit from a exotic pet shop. How long should I let him settle in before we start to handle him, don't want to scare him but also don't want him to not be use to being handled. He doesn't appear to be that interested in his crickets yet either is this normal?

Any advice you would like to share with me would be appreciated as we are going off information sheets and forums at the moment and there is a lot of different advice on these.

thank you all in advance xx :D

Post subject: Re: new owner
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:14 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

HI, and welcome, this forum is the best :) and everything you need to know is covered if you browse :) but it does take a few weeks for a new Beardie to settle down ; they often don't eat for a week or two :) just keep putting fresh veggies in first thing in the morning chopped small or grated (butternut squash, rocket, watercress, spring greens, dandelions , parsnip, mustard and cress etc) Also live food no bigger than between his eyes; and normally as many as he will eat in 10mins ; 3 times a day :) if you look on ' feeding a Bearded dragon ' there is a nutrition chart or look on My Beautiful Bearded Dragon Rescue ; she does the Nutrition Chart for Beardies :lol: Also as your new Beardie owners if you put a pic on of your set up the experts can tell you if anything needs tweaking ( its just often some pet shops just want a sale and some on here have been given wrong advice and had problems :lol: everyone is friendly on here and everyone is in agreement with a Beardies needs and welfare :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:09 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi - if you can't post a pic then just tell us what was supplied as a "full kit" and we'll try and help to tweak it. May also help if you can tell us what temps you have at the basking spot and cool side plus how long you keep lights/heating on daily.
It will take around a week for him to settle down and after that you could start gentle handling.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:53 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Hi there, and welcome to the forums.

As Catmishka33 said, this place is awesome. I myself have only been a member a few weeks and already been told, and read, so much invaluable information.
Pretty much everything you can think of I covered somewhere and can be found doing a search. Or, just ask.

And as Rick said, stick your viv setup picture on here, and he (and others) will give you top notch advice, and its defiantly worth taking in.

Join as a member....stay as family 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:42 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:01 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi welcome to this forum you will get all your questions answered here, or just look at all the other topics to find answers great people and advice as they have say'd if you can get pics on here or information on what your setup is information will come your way as to what is good and what can be made better :)they helped me so much.