mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:20 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi Everyone,

Im new to the forum and am looking at having my first beardie and I could do with a bit of advice.

I visited a breeder yesterday, his advert stated he was downsizing but he is in fact giving up all together, selling everything, all lizards, snakes the lot. He had 149 reptiles and has nearly rehomed all of them. His advert sounded like he cared, which was why I went, but I know dont think hes bothered at all what happens to them.

I have fallen in love with his two beardies that he wishes to home, one is a hypo which he wants £60 for and the other a Micro Scale Leatherback £100, they are both lovely and very tame, and I would love to have them, my problem is the bloke is only in it for the money and I hate buying pets from people like this. I went to look at his normal grey male but his wife has decided shes not selling him. Which was why we ended up looking at the more expensive ones. Initially I was only going to have one, but I have fallen in love with one and hubby the other. If we have both we obviously double the expense of setting it all up, the breeder does have lots of set ups but I feel he is still charging a lot of money for them.

I feel very sorry for the two beardies, they are basically in a room that no one really enters apart to feed them, he admitted they were only being feed weekly, as he doesnt have time for them as his very busy with work, they are both 18 months old and a lot smaller than I expected. The vivs are pretty bare and nothing for them to do really. They were exceptionally friendly and really nice.

Im not sure what to do, Im reluctant to give this guy any money, but feel sorry for the two beardies.

I would love some advice, Im really not sure what to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:49 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

id ask for them to have a feed whist your there and see how they eat before anything allso make sure they have nice clear eyes/mouth and nose. Has your husband thought of building a tank it would save alot of money and allso look better,they dont take long to do at all really,would you be keeping them in seperate vivs?

Danny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:28 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Re-homing mistreated beardies is always a great thing to do :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:32 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi Danny

They would be in two separate vivs, they are on their own at the moment. Hubby is going to build them whatever I decide, Id budgeted for one viv, if I have both its two of everthing.

While we were there he showed us the mealies that he breeds and the female beardie was very interested, but she didnt eat anything, he offered her one but she refused it. I forgot about asking to see them eating, it was 6pm and their lights go out at that time so they were getting ready for bed, well thats what we were told.

He also said they were winding down for brumation. They cant get any attention at all, the breeder works all day and if their lights are out by 6pm they cant spend any time with them. I feel very sorry for them, their eyes and mouth were clean, they looked to be in good condition but a bit small, there wasnt really any muscle on them, no substance, Ive never handled a beardie before so its difficult, but I just felt that should be a bit fatter, the breeder did agree.

I really like them but Im just not happy with their breeder, he keeps telling me that the male is worth a lot of money hes very special and the female cost him £70 and he wants £60 for her now. Hes asking £100 for the male but hes worth at least double that.

I hate people who think animals are an asset, its irrelevant what he paid for them. I would usually just walk away, but I feel very sorry for them and they are really nice beardies.

As to set up, I would need two uv lights, two starter units, and two basking lights, anything else I must have. Im trying to work out costs for two.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:36 pm 
EGG
EGG

I have a pygmy hedgehog who was a rescue, he was being used as a football and was a very grumpy and unfriendly ball when we first had him, he is now, 1 year later, fantastic, hes a really gentle boy and just loves to be out with you.

I would much rather "rescue" a beardie if I can.

I really like them so I think I am going to have to do some persuading hubby. Im not keen on their owner but I do feel they need a good home and they would certainly get that here. We are all made about animals.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:46 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Check out the Arcadia T5 controller, it may save you a few pounds as it will run both vivariums :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:25 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Uv wise that is the best option by getting a twin one then connect one to each tank if the cables are long enough, each vivarium would be around 50 pounds to make includeing glass etc (wood from wicks,b&q or fleabay) as for heating just get the holder for a screw in bulb from any electrical/hardware store and just connect up your own cable plus 2 spotlight bulbs.
The most exspensive thing electrical wise shall be the thermostat keep a eye on ebay for theese as they can be pricey.

Your relisticley looking around 150 to 175 mark if you do your research and plan well. Bareing in mind the average cost of a single beardie plus set up your talking 200-250,in your case you can double up on the quantinty and get 2 for still alot less than that budget.

Try to find out if the female has been bred,if so by how many differentt males and amount of times/clutches as this can detariate the dragon alot later in life

all the best
Danny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:31 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi Danny

We have our own plumbing company so we always have bits and piece left over from jobs, so most of the stuff we already have, its more the lights and heating that I need to buy. I am always on Ebay for bargains.

The female has never been breed, they bought the male to breed with her, but I think he gave up quite a while ago and so has never mated her.

How many crickets should an 18 month beardie be feed a week, need to order some live food at some point so trying to work out what I need.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:16 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Id start with live feeds every other day either one big feed or 2 smaller ones, see how there weight changes still supply veg 24/7 then go from there :D

Danny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:02 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Once we can see aphoto of them and you can weigh them we can give you a better idea of their condition. He is right about slowing down over winter which doesn't make life easier when assessing their condition.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:23 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

For a cheaper feeding option you could get a roach colony, breed them which is very easy, and then you have all the livefood you need. :D

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:18 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks for all the advice, we ended up not being able to have the two beardies, not sure if the breeder still has them, but he had someone visiting over the weekend and was looking for more money. I keep worrying about them but hopefully someone else has got them and they are in a good home.

We have now booked a little silkie who Im collecting on Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:11 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Good Luck :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Indeed :D . Is it from the same person as there is on the other post ?

Danny