mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:55 am 
EGG
EGG

Hello all!!

My husband and I are considering getting a bearded dragon. This forum had been incredibly useful and cleared up a lot of confusion for us, so thanks for that. :-) We were originally going to get a baby dragon but then my hubby had mentioned that we would like to get a dragon to his colleague and she told him that her friend is looking for a new home for her six years old dragon. Apparently she has two dragons sharing in the same viv since they were babies. There were no problems at all but for the past few months, one of the dragons had started to attack the other dragon, the owner couldn't figure it out why. The owner is giving the male dragon away only to a good home.

So my question is....should we take that six years old dragon on? Would he be easier for us than a baby dragon, good for starting? My worry is that he is quite older, would a new home stress him out? He is from a home with children and pets (dog and cat) so that is good as we do have three children (our 9 years old son is desperate for a bearded dragon), a cat and a dog.

Also if we do decide to have a look at the six years old dragon, what should we look for? Any warning sign?

Many thanks!

Helen x

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:31 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Fpr me personally iam glad i didnt get a baby and got teenagers.

Babies are hard work ,they require feeding 3x a day,morning lunch and evening.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:51 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Hi, and welcome :lol: as Spike & lizzie say a baby is hard work, and suffer more with the stress of moving. When you get a new Dragon it can take a few weeks to get them settled enough to eat whereas a grown Beardie has the fat reserves a baby doesn't . Where I got mine from they will not let new Dragon owners have a baby Dragon , they advise at least 5mths old. My daughter got a set up complete with Baby dragon :evil: they gave her calci sand ; big black crickets, a compact UVA/UVB and her Dragon got impaction of the sand :x it was poorly for a while. The vet gave her medication, showed my daughter how to force feed and told her babies should be on newspaper or kitchen roll . A long haul but her Dragon is turned 1yr now and ok . So I would say give that Dragon a new home all the hard work is already done. This is a great forum and the experts are spot on with backed up advice and all up to date, everybody on the forum is friendly. Dragons are so full of character and mostly on greens and much cleaner than hamsters and such :lol: :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:53 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

If he were wild he'd be near his "use by" date but as a (presumably) well kept dragon he could live to 10+ years. Settling and looking after an adult as a starter is much less stressful for you and he should not take more than a few days to settle down into new surroundings. You want to see that he seems well formed, bones not poking out, slight padding at the base of the tail and lively when he's fed crix (or whatever live food he gets). You need to decide if 4~6 years with him is what you want or 10~12 with a juvenile. Personally I'd grab him and take it from there!

Rick

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:38 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thank so much for replying!

You r right, it would be much easier if we take on the six years old dragon especially if he is a healthy and fit. Think it make sense for us and would fit in our famiky life better.

Had asked for photos and more information abt the guy. We r going to pick up a 4 ft viv this friday. This included accessories. After reading on this forum, I ll need to double check everything! So will be back with exact list on friday for your input.