mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi my name is Rachel and i'm from West Yorkshire, have a 3 year old BD who i acquired from a friend of a friend, so unfortunately i don't know very much about him. I'm also new to keeping reptiles and would be interested in any feedback from fellow forum users :D My beardie (Alan) won't eat veg or anything really other than live food, (he did have a small amount of apple and grape the other day) I am right in understanding that adults should be eating 70-80% vegetation to 20-30% live food? can you get them that just prefer the insects? - He is also very quite and hides under the basking shelf alot could he be brumating?

He came in a rather old rickety tank and i wasn't sure the lighting and heating were working correctly or even correct equipment !! so i have now bought the correct "kit" and hoping he will be happier

:roll: :roll:

Many thanks in advance for any advice xxxx

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:48 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi and welcome.

Let's start with the set up you have - sometimes just a few teaks of that will liven these guys up. So if you can tell us what you have, size of viv, type of lighting/heating, sub strate, temps basking and cool side, we'll see if we can help. QA photo of the viv would also help.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:40 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Mine rarely eats Veg and never has done. He occasionally nibbles but the only thing he ever gobbles are dandelion flowers. I feed him live food twice a week and believe me he isn't fading away :)

You can try withholding live food but at his age it is doubtful you will change his habits

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 am 
EGG
EGG

Lorraine wrote:Mine rarely eats Veg and never has done. He occasionally nibbles but the only thing he ever gobbles are dandelion flowers. I feed him live food twice a week and believe me he isn't fading away :)

You can try withholding live food but at his age it is doubtful you will change his habits

Thanks, would it be safe to feed just live food then? I do keep changing his veg etc every day and trying different things - i'm just trying to figure out how to post a picture of his set up but not sure how ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:46 am 
EGG
EGG

Sorry Lorraine, how much live food at a time do you feed yours please ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:11 am 
EGG
EGG

Rick wrote:Hi and welcome.

Let's start with the set up you have - sometimes just a few teaks of that will liven these guys up. So if you can tell us what you have, size of viv, type of lighting/heating, sub strate, temps basking and cool side, we'll see if we can help. QA photo of the viv would also help.

Rick

Hi, thanks he's in a 4ft viv with Repti Glo lighting (10.0 and 2.0) and Repti Glo heat/basking light, on its 25 degrees at the cooler end and about 35 degrees at the warm end (25 under the shelf) he's on beech chip substrate

I have a picture but don't know how to download :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:08 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Don't worry about the picture - we can work with what you've told us. Firstly you need to get rid of the beech chip as it can be swallowed and if that happens there's a distinct possibility of it causing a blockage and subsequent death - it really isn't worth the risk. With the temps try and lift the hot end a little so that he can bask at around 39~42C and when you replace the heat light get a standard 75 watt spotlight (RO80) from ASDA or similar - much cheaper and does exactly the same job. :) As for feeding live every second or third day, 8~10 roaches or around 12 large crix. Keep tempting him with veg but as Lorraine said at his age it'll be hard to change him. It won't really hurt even if it's not ideal.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:05 pm 
EGG
EGG

Rick wrote:Don't worry about the picture - we can work with what you've told us. Firstly you need to get rid of the beech chip as it can be swallowed and if that happens there's a distinct possibility of it causing a blockage and subsequent death - it really isn't worth the risk. With the temps try and lift the hot end a little so that he can bask at around 39~42C and when you replace the heat light get a standard 75 watt spotlight (RO80) from ASDA or similar - much cheaper and does exactly the same job. :) As for feeding live every second or third day, 8~10 roaches or around 12 large crix. Keep tempting him with veg but as Lorraine said at his age it'll be hard to change him. It won't really hurt even if it's not ideal.

Rick

That's great, thank you for the advice i will keep you posted of his progress :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:48 pm 
EGG
EGG

Please could someone tell me how to post pictures?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:46 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi - best way is to get an on line storage like Photobucket and store them there. Then when you want to post a picture here you copy the link at photobucket, click the button "Img" on the post you're writing and insert the link in the item that appears in your post. Clear as mud I know but hopefully you will be able to follow this.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:27 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Hi

I give mine veg every day mostly curly kale and grated carrot or the odd strawberry. He sometimes has a nibble but most of the time I throw it away the next day

He has about 6 extra large (size 5) locusts on both Thurs and Sun. You can feed adult locust but they freak me out so I go for a size down

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:56 am 
EGG
EGG

Rick wrote:Hi - best way is to get an on line storage like Photobucket and store them there. Then when you want to post a picture here you copy the link at photobucket, click the button "Img" on the post you're writing and insert the link in the item that appears in your post. Clear as mud I know but hopefully you will be able to follow this.

Rick

It does make sense, thank you I will try later :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:59 am 
EGG
EGG

Lorraine wrote:Hi

I give mine veg every day mostly curly kale and grated carrot or the odd strawberry. He sometimes has a nibble but most of the time I throw it away the next day

He has about 6 extra large (size 5) locusts on both Thurs and Sun. You can feed adult locust but they freak me out so I go for a size down

That's what i've just done, i leave him some fresh veg daily (i think he might have a little nibble when im not there) and i've been giving him small locusts (about 20-25mm) every other day, he takes about 6 and then he he loses interest (guess he's full) :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:28 pm 
EGG
EGG

RachelK wrote:
Rick wrote:Don't worry about the picture - we can work with what you've told us. Firstly you need to get rid of the beech chip as it can be swallowed and if that happens there's a distinct possibility of it causing a blockage and subsequent death - it really isn't worth the risk. With the temps try and lift the hot end a little so that he can bask at around 39~42C and when you replace the heat light get a standard 75 watt spotlight (RO80) from ASDA or similar - much cheaper and does exactly the same job. :) As for feeding live every second or third day, 8~10 roaches or around 12 large crix. Keep tempting him with veg but as Lorraine said at his age it'll be hard to change him. It won't really hurt even if it's not ideal.

Rick

That's great, thank you for the advice i will keep you posted of his progress :D

Beech chips have gone ! It actually looks better too, he's moving around easier - still not interested in veg, but I'll keep putting them in for him xx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:50 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi, I managed to get him to eat some sliced squash last night (by hand, but he ate it) I think thats the first time i've seen him eat anything but hoppers and crix :D