mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Dragons
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:42 am 
EGG
EGG

Ive Wanted Bearded Dragons For Quite a While Now And So i Bought 3 Of Them one Male And Two Females, the previous owner said He Had Them For 2 Month However One Is Two Years And two Of Then Are Between One And One And A Half, im just Wondering Is there A Way To Get an Estimate Myself Or do I Just Have To take His Word For It

Post subject: Re: New Dragons
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:36 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi - there's no real way of telling the age once they're adult so basically you'll just have to take his word for it. I do hope you're keeping them in separate vivs as beardies are not social reptiles see this post viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9750 If you need assistance with the set ups etc. don't be afraid to ask.
Just to give you an idea of the risks check through this Facebook post from a vet dealing with reptiles https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater - there are four bearded dragon injuries here all in one day.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:37 am 
EGG
EGG

All 3 Dragons Were Kept in The Same viv, they seem To Get On Fine with each Other For Now. The Male Were Abit Angry With me and Tried To Bite Me Whenever I went Near Him Or The Smaller Female. He Seems Abit Timid Around Me Now and Is Slowly Getting Used To Me, ive done Alot Of Research About eggs And How To Care For Them as I dont Want To Be Caught Out And Just Thrown in With A Clutch Or two Of Eggs, do you Think I Should Buy A Separate Viv And House The females Separately Or Are You Suggesting Housing Each Separately.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:13 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I've known dragons to live together for 2~3 years then for no apparent reason turn on one another and fight to the death. Keeping a male with the females will also almost certainly end with uncontrolled breeding so personally I'd not take the risk the chances of this ending in grief are just to high. Under normal circumstances they would only come together to breed so maintaining 3 in a relatively small enclosure is going against nature.
So - yes - I'm suggesting full separation with one 4' viv per dragon.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:45 pm 
EGG
EGG

Haha Ok, looks like Ill Be In The Market For some More Vivariyms Then