mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:00 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi Everyone,

I've had Beardy for a couple of months now, reptile shop said he was a couple of months old when I got him, so I guess he's about 4 months now. We've bonded really well, lots of late evening cuddles so he falls asleep on me. I've now started to let him explore our flat, he doesn't go far. I've let him hunt his crix outside his Viv today give him more room to scamper about. He's got such a good temperament, so docile and calm. I'll post picture's of set up and Beardy. I put the background in myself, looks much better in there now.

I have a few questions too:
1. Substrate - The reptile shop I bought him from recommended to use crushed walnut shell or Reptile sand. I chose walnut because it was cheaper, I cant believe how expensive the sand was. They said I should change it every 2 months? siv it daily. I clean his Viv out every week and siv all the substrate as well as cleaning his poo up as soon as I see it. Done a bit of research & read walnut should not be used ever & I've heard you can use childrens play sand? I've bought a sandstone rock & slab which he loves basking on.

2. Food - They also told me not to feed him on too many crix as its not good for him, is the true? I've just started growing my own Mustard greens etc as I can't seem to buy them in the supermarket.

Sorry for the essay!

Steph

Attachments:
File comment: Just a nice close up of his lovely colours
IMAG0313 (800x452).jpg
IMAG0313 (800x452).jpg [ 200.7 KiB | Viewed 7501 times ]
File comment: This is Beardy, can anyone tell me what type he is?
IMAG0311 (640x362).jpg
IMAG0311 (640x362).jpg [ 193.59 KiB | Viewed 7501 times ]
File comment: Viv set up
IMAG0286 (800x452).jpg
IMAG0286 (800x452).jpg [ 206.92 KiB | Viewed 7501 times ]

1 Partner
1 Son - Drake
1 Cat - Baldrick
1 Beardie - Beardy
6 fish - 2x Tiger Barb, 1x Green Barb, 1x Platinum Barb, 1x Red tail Shark, 1x Bristlenose Pleco

Last edited by tequilasunrise on Thu May 29, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:13 pm 
EGG
EGG

I have mine on lino flooring, it's so easy to clean and saves him eating any substrate off the floor :D

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:30 pm 
EGG
EGG

I did wonder whether to put more sandstone in, but he does love to have a dig around, so I think I need some loose substrate in there somewhere... Thanks btw!

1 Partner
1 Son - Drake
1 Cat - Baldrick
1 Beardie - Beardy
6 fish - 2x Tiger Barb, 1x Green Barb, 1x Platinum Barb, 1x Red tail Shark, 1x Bristlenose Pleco

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:48 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi - looking at the photos about the only thing the shop got right was that he's a beardie!! I know I've nothing to judge size by but he looks like an adult or at least 8+ months old. At 4 months I'd notmally recommend feeding a couple of times a day and probably around 15 odd crix plus his greens. Can you tell us what he weighs and how long he is? AS for crushed walnut - it's used as a material in sand blasting and I've seen the results where it's abraided the skin off parts of a dragons under body so I'd get rid of it quick. Playsand is quite OK and mixed with real sandstone can be effective and cheap. Whilst were at it perhaps you can tell us about the set up - temps, type of light, heating UV etc. to see if we can fine tune it all for you.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:31 am 
EGG
EGG

Yep I can find out all those details for you. I know off hand without looking that the UV bulb is an Exoterra one, when I put the background in, I moved it up slightly because previous owners of the viv had it slap bang in the middle at the back and wasn't good for your eyes! It hasn't affected the temps. The heat lamp is 40watt and keeps the hot end between 35-40 degree's C and the cooler end hovers between 20 - 30 degree's C. The log & root came with the Viv along with the UV & Heat lamp. I shall try & weigh & measure Beardy for you. Rept shop told me to feed him live food every day 7-10 bugs a day they said. I give him a good supply of greens which of the last couple of weeks there's been little left of it the next morning.

1 Partner
1 Son - Drake
1 Cat - Baldrick
1 Beardie - Beardy

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:43 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Don't alter the feeding regime yet, wait 'til we've a weight to work with. For substrate I'd normally suggest a mix of sandstone and playsand so that he has a couple of good digging areas plus a reasonable coverage of sandstone. He'll be happier with a white light for basking and you need to keep the basking spot temps around 39~42C allowing all to drop overnight to about 16C with no light/heating on at all. If you can afford it a dimming thermostat will help with temps.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:52 am 
EGG
EGG

Ok, so I've done my best to measure him, he's about 40cm long. He's definately grown since I've had him, cuz there's no way I could get him back in the travel box I brought him home in. I couldn't get him & his tail on the scales, but he's approx 214 grams. I change his veg first thing in the morning, and change water. He has a morning feed of about 4 - 5 bugs and an afternoon feed of again 4-5 bugs. I feed him alternate days on crix & locusts, so one day is crix & greens and next day is Locusts and greens. :) I've moved the temp gauge more into the hot spot and it now reads 42 degree's C.

Attachments:
IMAG0260 (800x452).jpg
IMAG0260 (800x452).jpg [ 187.83 KiB | Viewed 7489 times ]

1 Partner
1 Son - Drake
1 Cat - Baldrick
1 Beardie - Beardy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:53 pm 
EGG
EGG

Do you know how old he is?

1 Partner
1 Son - Drake
1 Cat - Baldrick
1 Beardie - Beardy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:13 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Probably around 8 months old - but without handling him it's alway a bit of a guess.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:17 am 
EGG
EGG

Ok thank you :D

1 Partner
1 Son - Drake
1 Cat - Baldrick
1 Beardie - Beardy