Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Just joined
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:25 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi All,

Recently picked up two rescue beardies, one boy one girl. When we got them they had been kept on the wrong substrate, eating the wrong diet, bad lighting, bad heating, in short they were in very bad shape.

2 days after having them we woke up and the boy had sadly died. The girl however is now going strong, she has really turned around from the state she was in.

Currently we are only using a 3 ftt 4 inch viv but will be upgrading her next month. I have moved her on to ceramics for some night heat, swapped the bulbs and substrate, changed her diet to a good variety of veg and crix etc, all dusted.

I am a complete novice when it comes to them hence joining up. But I was sharp enough to read up on them before taking them on, and as a result managed to save one. (If only we got to them sooner :( )

Current specs -

3 foot 4 inch converted viv (previously a solid cabinet)
Exo Terra 75w sun glo basking lamp (sits approx 9 inches high but has scope for her to climb up to it if needed)
2.0 UVB T8 ballast
Ceramic heat lamp

I am upping to a 4.5 footer in 3 weeks, and including a second UVA bulb purely for brightness (I know it has no real benefit in terms of UVB).

Other than that, HI!!!! and I'm glad to be a member. I look forward to pestering you all for informatin :D

(The pic is a few weeks old now, I have rejigged her viv and the ceramics are in there too)

Ross

Attachments:
10639428_10152660678332419_2186980597990064447_n.jpg
10639428_10152660678332419_2186980597990064447_n.jpg [ 80.75 KiB | Viewed 4169 times ]

Post subject: Re: Just joined
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:08 pm 
EGG
EGG

This was our boy spike, you can see just how bad they were.

Attachments:
IMG_227659182327177.jpeg
IMG_227659182327177.jpeg [ 33.54 KiB | Viewed 4167 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:29 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi - you may want to re-jig the set up slightly. UVA/B needs to be at least 10% and a single heat source preferably a spotlight should be at one end of the viv giving a basking spot around 39~42C. No need for the ceramic and no overnight heating required either. What and how often are you feeding her?

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:24 am 
EGG
EGG

After only a couple of nights with the ceramics she has come right out of her shell? Plus where she is positioned she could get a bit too cold at night without a heat source (good old English weather! ).

We've got her on a good mixture of kale, sage, peppers, butternut squash, carrot and various other bits. We give her one lot about an hour aftet lights on then refill around lunch. She was on a morning and evening crix feed but she started getting porky and lethargic. I dropped her to one evening feed of as much as she can eat, she's now a healthy size and runs and jumps which she didn't before.

I was told it's worth a uva and uvb strip, is it worth it of she has her day lamp?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:51 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

They really need a temperature drop (and no lights) overnight. It actually does get cold over here and room temps dropping to around 16C +/- are in fact quite healthy for her. For the best husbandry you should have a spotlight providing a basking temp around 39~42C plus (for preference) a UVA/B striplight such as one of the Arcadia flourescent lamps, ideally this 12% T5 http://arcadia-reptile.com/fluorescent- ... us-desert/ although this should be fitted at least 12" from the dragon. I use these in a 2ft batten fix unit over the basking area which allows them to get out of the UV range in my 4ft enclosures. Feeding sounds OK but a single live feed would be better mid day (if possible) as it allows for better digestion. Once she's hitting 350 gm+ in weight you can reduce live food to every second day but always offer veg daily (no need to put calcium on the veg - just a cou[ple of times weekly on the live.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:17 am 
EGG
EGG

I've checked the UVB and it is 10.0, don't know why I had it in my head it was 2.0, apologies!. (NOOB)

We try to give her her feed as early as possible, but as my other half is a complete wimp she won't go near crix so it makes giving her a feed at lunch very difficult if not impossible. I leave the UVB on in the evenings and switch to ceramics so she can stay warm and digest, but relax without the light beaming in her face. The UV strip then goes off around 21:30-22:00.

The shop near us gave us some advice on her feeds etc after we had her health checked. They spotted a bit of a blockage, but this was very soon after we got her, and it now appears to have cleared. She poo's fine, head is always up, and she runs around all over the place, not aggressive, and very very affectionate. She loves to sit on my shoulder when I walk around, then come and digs in to my stomach to sleep etc. I have 3 kids who are also brilliant with her, although the baby can be a bit much sometimes.

Attachments:
flo.png
flo.png [ 153.86 KiB | Viewed 4151 times ]