mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:22 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi my beardy is female and we got her from local pet store, we was told that she had been given up by previous owner and was roughly 8mths old. The staff member told us that she'd be the one they got out for people to handle even school party's went there and its because of her good temperament. Since we've had her she's gone crazy digging and constantly coming up to the window running up and down, she trashes her home she'll eat one minute then not. She's shedded once and has gain weight n looks healthy but she doesn't seem to want to settle, its like she's unhappy and we don't know why could it be because she was handled too much. We get her out as much as we can and she gets to run around. Please can anyone help I just want her to be happy thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:38 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Sounds suspiciously like a gravid female!! :lol:

They will trash the viv, dig like mad, look like a barrage balloon and eat small amounts only. They don't even need to have been mated to lay so basically I'd work my way through the Breeding section viewforum.php?f=9 and then ask if you've got more queries! :lol:

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:44 pm 
EGG
EGG

Cheers Rick for the advice we woke up to an egg the other morning, she's calmed down with the digging but she wants constant attention do you think this is due to being handled so much in pet shop.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:50 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

They seem to need visual stimulation - so we try to ensure that they are in an area where they'll see people moving around all day, or traffic up and down the road.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:21 pm 
EGG
EGG

We're not in a position for her to see the road and its very quiet where we live, we do put her on the window sill when the sun's out and she's happy, we let her have a run around the dining room for an hour at a time but no sooner do you put her back in she's head butting the glass and runs up n down. We have put a coloured plastic ball in her tank just to give her something. We are just so worried she's not happy when we think she is and to us its like she's going to drive herself insane, she's hardly got any claws on her front legs cause she wears them down with digging. What else can you suggest that we can try to help stimulate her visually, thanks for the help so far.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:37 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

As a teenager she will do this for a while. They do grow out of it as adults. Only one egg? Normal production would be 15~20+ so if it was an egg then there should be some more in there somewhere.
What are the temps in the viv? Dropping them slightly may help and possibly a photo of the set up posted for me to look at will help.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:25 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi Rick thankyou so much for your help, she's laid 2 eggs over 3 day's. We popped some coloured balls in with her yesterday and it appeared to calmed her down but again is she happy or threaten, she went a little dark under her chin but just seemed mesmerized. I will try to do the pic of her home for you but pls bear with me as I'm not very good at all this internet thing but we have been researching beardy, we have done ever since we have had her but just couldn't find any answers so I'm grateful for this forum and your help. Do you think she could be egg bound, she's not touched any greens and has only had 3 live in the past week and its been this way for over a mth, do you think she needs a check up at the vets.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:16 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

There are probably more eggs there and at this point I'd be visiting a vet who is experienced with reptiles. I'd also be querying her supposed age as it would be very rare for an 8 month old dragon to become gravid. The prefer to lay in temps around 28C in some sort of cave/covered area so not having anything other than the open viv wouldn't help.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:41 am 
EGG
EGG

She's just laid another 3eggs, she's older than 8mths we believe she's 2yrs. We will take her for a check up next week, I've tried to post 3 pics but I don't think it worked lol, ill get my daughter to help.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:37 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

2 years would be nearer the mark!

Rick :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:07 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi Rick just wanted to bring you upto date with regards to Sade, she's laid 13 eggs altogether, she laid her last lot on Saturday and it was her biggest lot 8 in one go. Since then she's started to calm down and today we got our old Sade back sitting proudly on her branch with her head held high lol, its just so wonderful to see her like this. I need to ask one thing though, she went right off her food for quite a while, will this improve now she's finished laying and how long should I wait before getting her to the vets, we didn't go before cause she was laying eggs and we wanted to see how she was once it was finished.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:45 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Get her checked over in case she has retained any as a retained egg can burst and cause death if untreated. She should be starving now so feeding up for a couple of weeks on a good mix of protein including a couple of pinky mice (if you can) will help.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:29 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi Rick just to let you know we took Sade to the vets and all's well, he did say it was unusual for her to lay over days instead of in one hit. She's eating live food and yesterday she had her first pinky which is a relief for us. Thankyou once again for all the help you gave, very appreciated. I will as soon as I can post some picks, the only thing wer unsure of is where's the best place to get a backdrop for her Viv.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:48 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Glad she's OK but I can't help with backdrops. I just get good shot of the outback and have the photo blown up to fit the enclosures
Of course you could always pop over here for a holiday and get your own photo!!

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:03 am 
EGG
EGG

I've already been to your glorious country,I spent a mth in Sydney with my family and got to celebrate my 40th birthday Aussie style that was back in 2005
I loved every minute despite being attacked by your Xmas Beatles lol. I must admit though having to check everything for bugs n spiders wasn't good cause I don't really like them, the only bad bug I've ever had to deal with was a wasp.
Loved swimming in the sea at Bondi beach well until I heard a whistle and everyone started moving and all I could think was SHARK, most amusing to the Aussie side of the family.