Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Owner!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:04 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi all,

Im sorry if these questions seem very basic as myself and my wife are new to keeping Dragons. I bought a 1yr old recently and put my faith in the pet shop that sold him to me. He set my viv up and told me everything i would need to know!! so i was to believe. Actually it was the biggest loads of rubbish and since then i have found a reptile centre and they have been fab.Im getting a little embarrased of going in daily so i thought id ask you guys for advice. When i seen him in the petshop he was eatin Hoppers, Now he doesnt and they walk over him and seem to strees him out so i dont give him them now. also my viv drops to around 60 degrees at night so ive bought a 40 watt heat bulb that comes on around midnight until 6am then my daily light etc comes on at 7am, is that ok? ive bought carrots, mixed lettuce( not iceburg) turnips but he doesnt seem to eat them. i cut them really small, should i grate them? i bought a cat litter tray and let him play in that in luke warm water. is that ok as he loves it! i also let him out and walk around the living room for a few hours a day. ive also noticed under his front legs he has a slight green colour that has recently apperred. is that ok? If anyone can give me any beginers advice that i have not mentioned i would be very grateful. Its strange but we both are very attached to freddy and would be deverstated if anything happened to him. Thanks

Post subject: Re: New Owner!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

So that we can help you better we need to know a little bit more about your beardie and your set up. You say he is a year old, but how big is he, and what does he weigh? (Beardies reach their adult size anywhere between a year and 18 months). This can make a difference to the amount of livefood they need - and fast growing youngsters have bigger appetites.

Beardies can take up to a couple of weeks to settle into a new home, so if you haven't had him very long he may not have settled enough to start eating properly yet.

We need to know the size of your viv, your equipment and the temps at the hot and cool end of the viv. Also your routine, such as do you turn all the heating and light off at night? (this gives your beardie a good night's sleep).

To keep your beardie properly you need to know about their natural environment, and then try and mimic that in the way you keep them. First off they come from a very dry desert where they will not come across standing water. They have adapted to take all the moisture they need from their food, and pet beardies will very rarely drink from bowls as they don't need too. Exposing them to too much moisture causes lung infections, as their bodies cannot take high humidity. Hence bathing and frolics in water are a complete no on except in exceptional circumstances.

It's fine to have him out of the viv - but only for a short while else he will get too cold. If he is not warm enough he won't eat. Most of the day he should be basking under his basking light at a temp of 105 degrees fahrenheit. If he is wandering about your room for hours he will be too cold. Twenty minutes or half an hour should be fine at this time of year.

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:01 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi, and thanks for getting back to me so soon,

Ok so my Viv is 3ft long we have a 75w bulb and the temp is usually between 100-110, we have two logs sloping upwards to the colder side and all equip is on a timer and goes off at night apart from a 40w blue bulb as the temp seemed to drop to a worrying 60.

He is in length from head to the tip of his tail 15 inches long although we are not sure what he weighs.

We do have a water bowl in the Viv and we made a raised platform out of slate which sits at the hotter end of the Viv although not directly under the heat bulb, He is usually found at the base of the log over towards the hotter end.

Our main concerns are green colour and the fact that his eating seems a little different to what it was in the store.

Many thanks

Darren and Jenny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:31 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

They can sometimes take 2 weeks to settle in and eat properly, how long have you had him?
the change in colour could mean he is coming up for a shed, any chance of you posting a pic? :D

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:36 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks Kathryn. Ive had him only 1 week so maybe thats why he is not eating! Ive tried to add a pic but it says "The board attachment quota has been reached"???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:23 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Your dragon needs to be cool at night and a minimum recommended of 16 degrees centigrade so you are just getting to this at the moment. If he is too warm he wont sleep properly and they like it to be dark so not sure about the blue bulb most people seem to use a ceramic heater which doesnt give out any light.

Rather than have a bulb on you could try covering your viv with an old quilt this will stop the temp dropping too far. It was all i used last winter when it was so cold.

Also you are going to need a bigger viv soon it is recommended 4ft for an adult beardie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:23 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Hi and welcome... :)

Lindy...x

1CAT - HAMISH
1 TROPICAL AQUARIUM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:32 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks Lorraine. I have got a duvet that i will put over my viv from now one. Yeah i am going to get a 4ft viv at the w.end. My local store said 3ft was fine but as previously posted, i was given lots of bad advice. I was just worried incase the temp dropped to low and he become too cold. Ive learnt lots from this site as i was getting confused looking on the net and one saying do this and another saying dont! There is still one unanswered question. Im giving him mixed lettuce and turnip but he turns his nose up. is this because he is still a little nervous having only been in his viv for 6 days? im grating the turnip. i heard they like butternut squash? i was goin to give him crickets but scared incase they bite him as he is very scared of hoppers.

Oh and Thanks Lindy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Firstly he'll probably still be settling in, and secondly whilst adult beardies are 75% vegetarian, some have to be persuaded that the green stuff is good to eat.

At 15 inches long he's still growing, so his main food will be livefood. Keep putting the veg in, and try different types - he might surprise you. I've not heard of beardies liking turnip before - but some have different tastes to others. Mine love curly kale and go mad for lambs lettuce. Others love dandelions or butternut squash (which mine won't touch!)

If, when he is fully grown, he still refuses to touch the veg you can try withholding livefood until he gives in. But he must be fully grown to try this!

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:26 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Welcome to the forum!

Beardies do need a bit of encouragement when it comes to eating their greens (a little like children!). If your beardie was previously not offered greens daily or not a good selection of greens then it may take him a while to learn to tuck in. There is a food chart in the feeding section of the forum and this will give you a good idea of things to try - they don't always like the same things so it's a good idea to try him out with different things until he gets a taste for something. Ours loves butternut squash! just bare in mind - he is still in his settling in period so don't expect great things from him just yet!

Livefood - do try black/brown crickets and locust, he will like one of them for certain! Try order online as it's much cheaper in the long run.

What substrate is he on? I'm just thinking with all the bad advice you got initially).

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:29 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Persevere with the veg mine only eats under protest when he is not getting any locusts but does eat curly Kale, carrot, tomatoes (as a treat but strangely will only eat red ones), apple, adores dandelion flowers and pink clover flowers, wont touch butter nut squash so see if you can cadge some rather than buying a whole one unless you like to eat it.