mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:30 pm 
EGG
EGG

My new beardie Gonzo keeps closing his right eye he will open it for short periods but keeps it closed most off the time. Can you tell me is this normal or is there a problem?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:15 pm 
EGG
EGG

Mine does it sometimes, from what I've read on here, it could be just because he is settling in, but if he keeps on then it might be scratched and you should get him checked out. Wait still he starts eye bulging, that really freaked me out, I thought Balerion was exploding!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:13 pm 
EGG
EGG

My concern was I read somewhere that it could be down to bad lights. I only have him in a 3ft viv at the moment (plan on going up to 4ft soon) temperature was hitting 158 under basking lamp and 110 on the cool side so I now have a 40 watt bulb in temperature seems to be sitting around 86 now in middle of viv hope this is ok
Waiting for Habisat dimmer coming.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:07 am 
EGG
EGG

Best thing to do is post what you've got in the viv now, lights, substrate etc, so when Rick or someone in the know comes on they don't have to wait for you to respond when they ask you to put that on for them! The more they know, the more they can help!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:23 am 
EGG
EGG

The problem is i trusted the guy in the reptile store I went too. I bought the everything from him and thought I would be getting all the right stuff to start out properly but it appears he adviced me poorly from spraying the viv to having wood chip substrate and now the uv bulb seems to be causing damage to the eye. Does anyone know if changing the bulb will be enough to fix this or will I need a trip to the vets. I dont see and pus or leakage coming from the eye its just closed most of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:43 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Got screwed by the rp shop by the sounds of it!
Temps need to be 39~42C at the basking spot dropping to mid 20's at the cool end. What type of UV light (power and brand and style i.e tube) do you have as some of these have been known to cause eye problems. If it's the UV turning it off for a few days should fix the problem but lets see if it is that first.
If you can put up a photo of the set up and describe its contents we'll see what we can use and what you may need to change to try and save some costs.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:39 am 
EGG
EGG

I have changed over from a exo-terra bulb to a arcadia bulb and it seems to have made all the difference. I got another question though the guy in the shop said to feed him twice a day is this the correct advice I only ask as it seems most of the advice I was given was incorrect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:12 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Either bulb should have been OK but I'd rest his eye by turning the UV off for 2~3 days and once he's keeping it open full time put the UV back on. How old is he? A baby should be provided with fresh veg every day and at least 2 feeds of live food daily reducing to 1 at around 6 months and by 18 monthsa once every 2~3 days.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:27 am 
EGG
EGG

Thanks for all the help and advice I would be totally lost if not for you all. He is only young but the guy in the shop told me not to give him any veg so I haven't I been putting in live crickets twice a day but I have only seen him eat four in the last week I was told that be normal till he gets used to his surroundings. I better get him some veg. Hopefully he will start eating soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:51 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

As babies they are growing rapidly and need constant feeding. Starting them on fine chopped veg early in life helps with later feeding. Normally they take around a week to settle and start eating live food properly and at that point should be consuming 10~15 small crix at a sitting. How long have you had him and how big (in mm) are the crix?

Rick