Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: another worried ower
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:58 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hello all.

my dragon is about 12 weeks old and i've had him for three weeks. At first he was happy and active but now, after reading some of your tips, i've made a few changes to his viv. The main one is that i now turn off all his lights at night which means his viv is at a temperture of 65 degrees in the morning. He is now not eating and looks thin. Still quite active during the day but looks lethargic around five in the evening. Worried he is'nt getting his daily calcium.

Any advice is good advice.

Leah

Post subject: Re: another worried ower
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:01 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

ok answer these questions and you will get more help.

how hot is the basking spot?
how hot is the cool end?
what substrate are you useing?
how old is your dragon?
how much does he weigh?
how big is your viv:?
when was the last time he has eaten?

:P

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:33 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Also what is he eating and what uv are you using and what supplements?

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:33 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

welcome to the forum :lol:

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:44 pm 
EGG
EGG

i have a thermostate in the middle of the 3foot viv its reading 80-85 inthe day and 60-65 in the morning. Was using wood chips but now corrigated paper(flat side up)
he is about 11 weeks.
i don't have his weight.
He ate 5 mini locus (with NUTROBAL CALCIUM/BALANCER ON 1) this morning but no dandilion leaves or green leaf cabbage.
The uv is a curly 8.0 uv bulb supplied by the reptile shop along with the rest of the equipment.
He has a wooden log to bask on a small rock to climb and atificial green vine for him to hide.

I think we maybe over reacting but its best to check things out with you guys.

I will try to take a pictue and post it later.

Many thanks to all Leah and dad.
jay_04198 7 wrote:ok answer these questions and you will get more help.

how hot is the basking spot?
how hot is the cool end?
what substrate are you useing?
how old is your dragon?
how much does he weigh?
how big is your viv:?
when was the last time he has eaten?

:P

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:47 pm 
EGG
EGG

JoshuasThankyou

LEAH(11)[/b]
[/b]Mummy wrote:
welcome to the forum :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:00 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

ok first off you need to change the uvb bulb to a 10.0 or 12.0 as 8.0 is not enough. dragons need as much uv as they can get.

how long you had him? when you first get a beardy it can take up too a week for them to start eating a recovering from stress. 8)

would like to see some pics of your set up. but please change the uvb bulb. i would recomend repti glo 10.0

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:37 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi it sounds like you have a compact bulb rather then a strip light please check out http://www.uvguide.co.uk for details as these are not ideal for beardies.
The temps should be 100-110 directly under the basking bulb on the basking branch/rock and 80ish at the cool end. Turn everything off at night.
At this age he should be feed 2-3 times a day letting him eat as many as he wants in 10mins, you need to dust one feed a day not just 1 locust. Nutrobal is a good allrounder vitamin supplement but you need something with more calcium in like Reptocal/Calypso cricket dust. Alot of beardie owners use Nutrobal 2 days a week (normally weekend) and then Reptocal/calypso on the other 5days. You can also use Dragon Dust ICB 7days a week instead of the Nutrobal/Reptocal.
It can take a couple of weeks for them to settle, have you tried him with crickets instead of locusts? they are cheaper for younger beardies!

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:05 pm 
EGG
EGG

Kathryn wrote:Hi it sounds like you have a compact bulb rather then a strip light please check out http://www.uvguide.co.uk for details as these are not ideal for beardies.
The temps should be 100-110 directly under the basking bulb on the basking branch/rock and 80ish at the cool end. Turn everything off at night.
At this age he should be feed 2-3 times a day letting him eat as many as he wants in 10mins, you need to dust one feed a day not just 1 locust. Nutrobal is a good allrounder vitamin supplement but you need something with more calcium in like Reptocal/Calypso cricket dust. Alot of beardie owners use Nutrobal 2 days a week (normally weekend) and then Reptocal/calypso on the other 5days. You can also use Dragon Dust ICB 7days a week instead of the Nutrobal/Reptocal.
It can take a couple of weeks for them to settle, have you tried him with crickets instead of locusts? they are cheaper for younger beardies!

Attachments:
File comment: We took your advise and bought a 10.0 uv bulb. We also bought some ICB powder form a reptile supplier. Its called "fire bellied toad icb" but the store owner assured me its the same stuff.
Izzy seems very lively today, alot more active eating 5 small locusts this morning and 6 this afternoon. He has also eated a small saucer of green cabbage and water cress. Do i give him ICB everyday???

Thank you all so much for you help and concerns.
We have attached 2 pictures of Izzy's viv and the ICB.

[color=#BF00BF]Leah [color=#000000]and her daddy :D [/color][/color]

143.JPG
143.JPG [ 205.23 KiB | Viewed 11364 times ]
152.JPG
152.JPG [ 190.58 KiB | Viewed 11364 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:52 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

It does'nt look like you have the uv on ( hopefully it's just a bad pic!) :shock: it needs to be on 12-14 hours a day, the supplement you have looks like something similar to nutrobal, ie a multi vit, you need just a pure calcium dust with nothing else in it! like what was said, most of just use nutrobal twice a week and a pure calcium dust 5 days a week. Hope this helps
Also are you using a red bulb? and Kathryn mentioned what the temps need to be at each end, are they right? using a digital thermometer will give a better reading.

Hubby, Chris 2 sons, Brandon & Luke
1 Dog Muttley
1 Cat Jess
16 Racing Pigeons

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:08 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi we use the Dragon Dust ICB every day, its only if you use Nutrobal that you need to use something with more calcium in for part of the week. I'm actually unsure if that the toad one has the same levels of nutrients in so have listed the 'Guaranteed Analysis' for you to compare

Crude Protein 25%
Crude fat, min 1.5%
Crude Fibre, max 3%
Moisture, max 8%
Ash, max 8%
Calcium, min 14%
Calcium, max 16%
Vit A Acetate 20,000IU/Kilo
Vit D-3, min 4000 IU/Kilo
It does say to visit www.t-rexproducts.com for more info.

Yes to using it every day, just lightly cover the first few he eats every day (or 2nd feed if thats easier) :D

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:48 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks Kathryn for the list its the same as the one we have.

I've had Izzy in the garden today so he got plenty of natural uv and was very alert at every sound. I gave him some of our home grown mint leaves to day(washed) and he scoffed the lot so i think hes going to be a tired Dragon tonight as he has also eaten about ten-fifteen locusts through-out the day. He is a very happy dragon, so i think we were being a bit nervous at first. He is our first four legged member to join our family.

Thanks again for the advise.
Leah[color=#000000] and her daddy[/color]

Kathryn wrote:Hi we use the Dragon Dust ICB every day, its only if you use Nutrobal that you need to use something with more calcium in for part of the week. I'm actually unsure if that the toad one has the same levels of nutrients in so have listed the 'Guaranteed Analysis' for you to compare

Crude Protein 25%
Crude fat, min 1.5%
Crude Fibre, max 3%
Moisture, max 8%
Ash, max 8%
Calcium, min 14%
Calcium, max 16%
Vit A Acetate 20,000IU/Kilo
Vit D-3, min 4000 IU/Kilo
It does say to visit http://www.t-rexproducts.com for more info.

Yes to using it every day, just lightly cover the first few he eats every day (or 2nd feed if thats easier) :D

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:54 pm 
EGG
EGG

Yes the uv is on 6am till 8pm every day. We are using a red heat bulb is that wrong???.
All the temps have been check and double checked and seem to be ok. :P

woo5 wrote:It does'nt look like you have the uv on ( hopefully it's just a bad pic!) :shock: it needs to be on 12-14 hours a day, the supplement you have looks like something similar to nutrobal, ie a multi vit, you need just a pure calcium dust with nothing else in it! like what was said, most of just use nutrobal twice a week and a pure calcium dust 5 days a week. Hope this helps
Also are you using a red bulb? and Kathryn mentioned what the temps need to be at each end, are they right? using a digital thermometer will give a better reading.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:56 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

I was surprised to see a red bulb, only because i'm not sure if anyone else does, we all use spot bulbs from the supermarket, which are alot cheaper! never really heard them mentioned before, not sure what the benefit is or not! I'm new to this too and learning all the time the others will be more abled than me! sounds like he's perked up alot, maybe it was all a settling in thing, Beardies can be really funny at times!! Last time George shed he hid all day and had the right hump :roll: lol But there great!! have just recently got a gecko to add to the clan too!!!

Hubby, Chris 2 sons, Brandon & Luke
1 Dog Muttley
1 Cat Jess
16 Racing Pigeons

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:42 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Beardies are better with a bright white light rather than a red light, this is because the heat lamp mimics the sun. Red lights were very popular a few years ago but once people changed the red light to a white light they all seemed to see major differences in their beardies all for the better! The best white lights to use are the normal household reflector spotbulbs (80mm) that you can buy in all supermarkets/wilkinsons/b&Q etc and are around £1 for two.

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy