mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: quiet dragons?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:38 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi I'm new to this, hoping someone can help! I have a 10 month beardie who has gone very quiet, isn't doing much, not interested in catching her locusts but will eat her greens and will eat a couple of locusts if I feed them to her, but eating less than usual. She was like this a couple of months ago & I took her to the vets, she had an antibiotic injection & was fine a week or so later. I'm wondering if this is usual behaviour or if I should go back to the vets again. She hasn't shed for a good couple of months & there's no obvious sign that she's about to
thanx

Post subject: Re: quiet dragons?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:19 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

How long has she been like this? What is your set up like - what's the temps like inside the viv? what substrate are you using? are you using a uv tube - if so what is the strength and how old is it? Are you dusting with calcium and a multi vit? Has she had a poop check done to check for parasites?

Sorry for all the questions but it will help to point us in the right direction!

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:36 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi
she was like it for about a week, strangely it coincided with her seeming to be constipated, she hadnt been to the loo for 6 days, but then on Sunday she did a poop and has been running around and seems back to normal again now, but I have a feeling it will happen again!

I use a Powersun UVB lamp which is about 8 months old. She's in a 4ft x 2ft viv. I have the lamp at one end where its about 95 degrees, and its about 80 degrees the other end. I use Reptile carpet. I dust with multi vit almost daily, and calcium once a week, she likes curly Kale (very fussy about her veg!!) and locusts. I haven't had a poop test done, maybe I should then, as its happened a couple of times now. We were going to do that last time at the vets, but she suddenly perked up.

Thanks for you help!
Mel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:49 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Never heard of the powersun lamp - is it an actual lamp or a strip light? If it is just a lamp it needs to be changed to a strip light (at least 3 foot in a 4 foot viv) and should be the minimum of 10% in strength. UV lights become less effective over time and therefore you really need to change them every 6 months or so.

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:55 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Your basking temps are too low and its probably the cause of her constipation. I would, as suggested, install a 10/12% UVB strip light and a basking bulb. Obviously the basking bulb attached to a thermostat :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:11 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Actually the Powersun is a UV/heat lamp sold by Zoo Med - however some of those sold at the beginning of the year have had problems (see http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourfloo ... edpowersun ) so it may be worthwhile reading through the UVguide site and selecting another globe. Whatever you do an increase in temps to around 39C will help.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:37 am 
EGG
EGG

sorry for taking so long to reply, my computer broke and Ive only just been able to replace it, too many pennies! thanks very much for the advice, I now have a warmer dragon and she hasn't had any constipation problems since!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:53 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

Thats good news