mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:33 pm 
EGG
EGG

My 3-4 year old Beardie (inherited from Chester Zoo in the UK) has been refusing to eat any food since we got him in July this year. I had put it down to the fact that he had a very disruptive few days in the time before he arrived with us, plus his environment at our home is very different to a petting zoo.

We have seen a reptile vet on a few occasions now who has seen the viv set up and confirmed it's all good and that he is healthy. We ended up force feeding him with critical care then force feeding him veggies and meal worms and suddenly, 4 days ago he started to eat the meal worms himself.

We are delighted as you can imagine, however no matter what veggies we put in the viv he will not touch them. He also seems completely disinterested in the crickets I've tried him with.

From what I know we cannot feed him on meal worms alone. I wonder if I should just persevere and hope he picks up on the veggies and crickets and maybe try him with some hoppers instead as well?

He hasn't pooped for 2 weeks either despite giving him warm baths and plenty of time spent running around the living room.

He has just started shedding too and seems to be losing it from his legs and head mostly.

Any advice anyone has will be gratefully received, thank you :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:28 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Catch 22 at the moment. When shedding they often go off food and with winter approaching he may well also be thinking of brumation (again no eating). I'd persevere with the mealworms and try him with silkworms as well as they are safe as a basic diet. Have you tried roaches? We find that after brumation or just slowing down over winter they often change their food likes so things may well change in spring. With veg - some never really take to them so all you can really do is keep offering a small amount "just in case".
Hope this help a little.

Rick