Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Viv setup
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:06 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi,

I am about to purchase a new vivarium, going for as large as I can manage (54"/137cm L x 19"/49cm D x 22"/56Cm H) and I would really appreciate some advice please.

What length UV lighting do I need please? I've seen a kit with a T5 54w light to fit inside a 48" viv plus T5 reflector and T5 controller http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile ... 13877.html but it's expensive at £73.

I will stick with slate tile on the floor but would like some advice around whether I should create a scratching space... where should it be positioned, how big should it be, is it a gap in the slate or a raised area, do I use anything like sand in it, etc please?

I will put in a heat lamp, I am using a 60w in the 3ft viv currently so would like to know what size lamp I should have now please, perhaps 100w?

The room I think is dropping below 60 degrees Fahrenheit at night, I am currently wrapping the viv in a blanket but as winter sets in, in the UK I wonder if I need a ceramic heater. If I do, where should I position it and should it run off a separate thermostat to the one I use with the heat lamp please? I have the heat lamp and UV running on a timer at the moment but could get a separate timer for the heater.

The viv will have rear ventilation with about 3" air space behind it, is this sufficient please?

Sorry for all the questions, you have been so helpful before and I want my little guy to be well looked after.

Many thanks.

Post subject: Re: New Viv setup
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:18 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi - for the UV supply you should see that it covers 1/2 to 2/3rds of the viv length and place it at the hot end where he'll spend most of the time. Sand area for digging again towards the hot end and use playsand. I use sandstone crazy paving on the floor and just leave an area free to top up with sand. You'll need to experiment with the heat source but 100 watt should be ample. Before getting separate timers etc. it would pay you to find some way of checking overnight temps as you may be surprised as to what the temp is, As long as it's around 60F then there's nothing to worry about, it's lso possible that he'll brumate, then nothing to worry about there.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:52 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi, thank you very much. He's getting much more sleepy apart from a few hours from mid morning till mid afternoon. Goes to the cold end alot too. Should I just leave him to it? It's so tempting, especially in the morning to pick him up and pop him under the heat lamp. I'll do my best to check the overnight temps. It probably means getting up and taking a measurement between 3-4am which is no problem. Thanks once again for your help, I really appreciate it... as does Rex!
Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:05 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Just leave him to it - it's natural behaviour so we shouldn't try altering it.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:12 am 
EGG
EGG

Thank you :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:24 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi, the temperatures are dropping below 60 degrees at night so will need to buy a ceramic heater. I was going to attach it to a timer, plus dimming thermostat (separate from the ones controlling the basking light), plus 50W heater and position it centrally. Does that sound sensible please? Thank you, Lisa.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:36 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Sounds OK - you shouldn't need a timer however as it won't switch on unless the temps drop below 16C which won't happen during the day.

Rick