mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Settling in?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:29 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi everyone, I am a new bearded dragon owner and new to this forum.

I have recently got a 6 month bearded dragon and have had him for 11 days and am starting to get worried as he has dark stress marks on his belly all day, everyday. Also, he is very scared of me and won't let me get near him.

He will however, take crickets from my fingers but as I have read I have not tried handling him as it may put him under too much stress. Before I got him, I researched heavily into the correct set up and have the temps perfect in the 4x2x2 ft viv so I don't think it is the environment which is stressing him out.

I want to start handling him as he sometimes looks like he wants to come out as he keeps glass surfing.

Have you any suggestions about how I can get my beardy to trust me and rid him of these stress marks? Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Settling in?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:14 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

A description of the viv will help- type of lighting and heating, temps basking and cool end, furnishings. Is the viv about table height and where in the house is it? How long are his lights/heating on each day? He is probably still settling in but knowing these facts will make it easier to hazard a good guess.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:21 am 
EGG
EGG

Hello Rick thanks for your reply.

Viv is a 4x2x2

Heating:
Arcadia dessert T5 36" UVB bulb fixed with a reflector. Then he has a 55w basking bulb in his hot end also the uvb bulb is on the back wall more towards the hot end. He has no heating at night as the temp doesn't fall below 65f.
The lights are set to come on between 6:30 - 7:00 and the turn off at at 9:00.

Temperatures:
Basking spot - 105f
Cool end - 79f
I have a Habistat thermostat set in the cool end so the temp does not exceed 85f

Furnishings:
In the basking spot he has a sand stone tile (like a patio stone) which he sits on most of the day.
He also has a big windy log in the cool end which he like to climb/hide away from me.
also he has a few fake plants
and finally a straw basket hide, which is basically a straw basket placed upside down with a hole in so he can enter. This is in the cool end.
His substrate is paper towel atm.

The vivarium is placed in my bedroom next to my bed at table hight.
I hope this all helps!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:30 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

All looks good - nothing there I can fault so congratulations. Based on this it's not related to his habitat, so either settling in pains, or the fact that he doesn't get to see a lot of movement living in your bedroom. They do tend to like being in rooms where they can see stuff going on all the time. If he eats from your hand it's a good sign so it's almost certainly just going to take a little time and patience.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:30 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

All looks good - nothing there I can fault so congratulations. Based on this it's not related to his habitat, so either settling in pains, or the fact that he doesn't get to see a lot of movement living in your bedroom. They do tend to like being in rooms where they can see stuff going on all the time. If he eats from your hand it's a good sign so it's almost certainly just going to take a little time and patience.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:02 am 
EGG
EGG

Ok brilliant, thanks Rick for your help!

He did let my other half stroke him today which is a good sign! He's a greedy bugger too, costing me a fortune in crickets haha!