mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: float test
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:49 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Hi I've just order a float test from PALs but there seems to be lots of choice on the web site for all different tests, can anyone advise which test I should be going for please? if they can give me the title or the price off PALs so I can be sure?
Many thanks

Post subject: Re: float test
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:11 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

You're after a basic test for intestinal parasites - give them a ring I think you'll find that they will be able to help you.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:10 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

I've emailed to ask Pals but they just said i'd get a package with a list of options and prices so not very helpful really, has anyone recently had a test?

The prices range from 14.50 - 40.00 so quite a difference?

Cheap one is for Faecal Screen which is a test for: 'Direct and Salt flotation examination for all parasites excluding Cryptosporidia and some Protozoa'.

The most expensive is for: 'an aerobic culture for all bacterial and fungal infections including Salmonella and Camplyobacter and a Full Parasitology screen'.

They ask for a 3 day pooled faeces sample, does this mean you collect from same poo over 3 days, as Oscar poos very rarely it would be impossible to collect from fresh poo for 3 days on the trot? really not sure what to do with it all!!

We have realised that Oscars ceramic heat lamp was only working intermittently and have now just put a light bulb in to warm his hot end and he is finely up and about and eating, so I think this has been the problem with him this summer rather than parasites so I'm not as worried as I have been about him:)

Any advice would be helpful about this test, thank you:)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:46 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

This is the one I have done with my local vet "Faecal Screen which is a test for: 'Direct and Salt flotation examination for all parasites excluding Cryptosporidia and some Protozoa'" and it's just a single poo sample that is tested. However if it was the heater, which will cause those symptoms, the no real need to worry.

Rick