mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:33 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi, I have always wanted a bearded dragon.My partner bought me one for xmas and I am loving him!
He is a 5 month old male and to me seems very healthy.
My partner bought the beardie with tank,sand etc all included in his original set-up.At this stage the tank (which is a exo terra) had no basking lamp? The only heat he had was a heated tray and the two bulbs in the light unit - one being a UVB 5.0. Having since read on the internet many many forums and websites and I soon realised that he required a basking lamp which I have now got from a different pet shop (dont think the original pet shop had any idea how to keep him!).
I have set up the new basking lamp in the tank and have also set it up with a day/night regulator as instructed by the pet shop.
The basking area of the tank now has a temperature of approx 105 degrees with the other part of the tank staying around 85 degrees for daytime settings.Of an evening the regulator drops the temp by approx 23 degrees.
The basking lamp has been in the tank for 2 days now and my problem is...........my beardie does not seem to know or does not seem to want to go to the basking area? He also takes ages to wake up and get going even though the thermo is showing correct daytime temps? I have also switched the heated tray off as I am getting correct temps without it with the basking lamp on. I am worried that he may not be digesting his food properly if he does not bask. He also seems to be off of his crickets but still eating greens?
Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.
Thank you, Jo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

don't worry too much about him not eating if you have only had him a week - they take up to two weeks to settle in.

You could try moving him to the basking spot so that he gets the idea. Beardies can't feel heat from below, so he probably is totally unused to basking. Hopefully once he gets the idea he'll love it!

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 am 
EGG
EGG

Thank you for answering so quickly, i will try not to worry too much.Happy new year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:45 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi Joanne, welcome to the forum :lol:

What type of basking bulb are you using - is it a white light or coloured light? Is it a normal spot bulb or ceramic (emits no light)?

Please be very careful with sand as substrate - is it playsand? You have to be careful when they are catching livefood that he doesn't take a mouthful of sand at the same time, this can lead to impactation which can be really serious. Also the 5.0 strength uv isn't strong enough he needs a 10.0 strength.The uv needs to be changed every 6 months as they become less effective.

Keep us updated :lol:

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:58 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi Janine, its a red bulb in a ceramic unit.The lamp was bought from a beardie breeder.As far as the sand....not too sure what sand it is but it is orange in colour and very fine.Beardie still not basking yet.Tried putting him under it but he walks off after a minute or so?
I will swap the other UVB bulb for a 10 instead of 5 today.
Thanks so much for your help.
Jo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:01 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi Jo, beardies are attracted to white lights to bask and have difficulty understanding how to bask from coloured lights such as red ones. I would suggest you change the red light to a white one - it will be cheaper for you anyway in the long run as the best bulbs to buy are the cheapo ones from supermarkets - normal household spot bulb R80/80mm. You can usually buy them for approx £1 for two. The bright white light will attract him to bask. The temps you have right now are spot on so aim to keep them around what they are now.

What thermostat are you using? Hope you managed to change the uv light to a 10.0 - the 5.0 aren't strong enough at all. Do you feed your beardie directly on the sand? Please be so careful of him taking mouthfuls.The sand you have sounds like calci sand which is worse than playsand as it just clumps when wet (imagine that in his tummy). If you really want to keep him on sand please consider changing him onto playsand (Argos do a bag for around £2.50 if you are in the UK).Playsand is finer than calci sand so if he does take mouthfuls it has more chance of passing through his gut a bit easier. You also could try putting a big peice of slate in his 'feeding' area or taking him out of the viv and putting him into a plastic box (like a childs toy storage box) to feed which will reduce his risks even further.

Keep us updated. Happy new year!

1 dog - Blackie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:03 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi Janine, happy new year. I think my beardie Ronnie is started to get the basking idea now(thank god). He got on his rock this morning for adout 5 mins, then later on in the day for 10 mins, so im keeping my fingers crossed. He still is not eating much a few greens here and there and 1 or 2 crickets, i know he is still trying to settle. The thermostat is a MICRO CLIMATE and cost me £55.00, so i do hope that its ok. I think your right about the sand thats in the viv at the moment as it does clump, i will change it tommorrow. Yes i changed his bulb to a 10. Janine i wanted to know what you think of the pellet food for beardies, i was thinking of buying some for a bit of a change for him. Thanks again for all your helpful advice you have certainly put my mind a bit more at ease. Kind regards Jo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:54 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

To be honest nobody on this forum (that I know of!) uses the pellet food and the ones that have tried it found that their beardies didn't touch it! Just keep offering the crickets and greens daily and he should find his appetite soon enough. Keep moving him over to bask and hopefully he will get the idea. The problem with red lights is that most beardies look for a bright light to bask from and some try to bask from the uv light if this is the brightest light in the viv. If he doesn't get the hang of basking soon I would change the bulb - he needs to bask to digest his food properly.

I assume the microclimate thermostat is the dimming one? If so that's the one I use. Keep us updated on how he is :lol:

1 dog - Blackie