mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: my beardies
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:50 pm 
EGG
EGG

hiya..... i bought a bearded dragon for my partner as he wanted 1. soon i found out that he has bought 2 himself, so now we own 3 bearded dragons 2 females n a male..... my problem is that i have noticed that 1 of my feales is very under weight and doesnt want to eat anything, where as my other 2 are prefectly normal.... is it the case that the other 2 have rejected her???? i need help PLEASE!!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: my beardies
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:27 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Sounds like a bit of a disaster, what a way to increase your collection over night! As adults if they are to stay together you will need ever such a big viv and will contantly have to keep an eye on them for fighting/ over zelous mating etc.

Have you thought about giving one back to the people you purchased them off? A big mistake people make is thinking two beardies are better than one when in fact in the wild they are solitary reptiles and do better on there own.

I would be VERY tempted to either re house the smaller one or perhaps give her to a knowledgable home/ previous owner so she has the best chance to live a full and happy life.

Also how old are they? Sexing young beardies is notoriously difficult so you might not have MFF!

Ant. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:00 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

How old are the beardies? If they are very young they cannot be accurately sexed. What size viv do you currently house them in? You would need a very big viv for 3 adult beardies in the long run :shock: The problem with having beardies together is that they don't always get along - two males will fight to their death, two females may or may not get along and male and female will 100% breed so expect lots and lots of tiny beardies to care for and find good homes for.

What can happen when beardies don't get along is something known as intimidation - it isn't always something you can see straight away, it can be just a 'look' passed between the beardies which can prevent the weaker beardie eating and basking properly (the stronger one saying 'hands off that's my food' etc). We have seen a few people on this forum alone have to re-home a second beardie due to intimidation problems - if left your weaker beardie will eventually die, it really is that serious. If you intend to keep even just two of the beardies you will need to have a seperate viv to seperate them at some point, for example if you keep male and female together they will keep breeding and you will need to give the female a break at some point as she will be exhausted!

Are any of the beardies from the same clutch (ie brother and sister)? If so please don't breed them. Are you prepared for babies?

The problem you have right now is the welfare of the weaker beardie and you will either have to seperate them or re-home. Another problem that may be happening is parasites - have you had all their poops checked by a reptile vet? Parasites are easily caught by livefood and sadly are really common. A test needs to be done at least yearly.Good luck please keep us updated.

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:41 pm 
EGG
EGG

they are all the same age of 8 months and i have had them all checked 4 times for the sex and they are defenatly 2 females and a male...... the 2 females are from the same batch of eggs and the male is another.they all seem happy to bask on top of each other and sleep together. we have a 4ft viv 4 them with the glass left open durin the day to run around the living room when they want... if they do breed then we would be selling them on to the shop we got the older ones from...... i have thought about giving her back but i love her so much as well as the other 2 but i have put her back to the shop to see if they have rejected her or not but she just refuses to eat full stop.......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:24 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

You will probably end up with no choice but to seperate them as if intimidation is the cause this will not stop over time and will get worse. A 4 foot viv will not be big enough for 3 beardies in a couple of months when they are fully grown.

Also please don't leave the viv glass open to allow them to roam outside the viv as and when they want - reason is that they need 12 to 14 hours a day of uv and heat. If they are allowed to roam they are not going to get the adequate uv/heat they need everyday and over time this will lead to serious problems.

Ask if you are unsure of anything - good luck :D

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:52 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi,

I know all our answers seem to be doom and gloom but the reality is that these guys do not mix well and I can give you a whole string of first hand stories about the problems that occur when trying to house dragons together. Even sexing isn't an exact art, males are easy to tell from quite early in life but I know of more than one "female" that turned out to be a late developing male (in one case around 15 months old!!!). I've personally had the intimidation problem and this is only solved by separation - either another enclosure or selling/re-homing. Breeding is another thing again and I STRONGLY recommend you read through all the posts on our section regarding breeding. It's not as simple as hatching them then selling them down the street (which is not really responsible ownership).
Anyway now that's been said any help we can provide please ask, we're here to help not critisize :D .

Rick