mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:56 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

okay the guy in the store told me to feed him 5 med crickets a day and i did that but since they are not cheap i buy large ones now and feed him 3 of them, im kinda confused cuz i red that ure sopose to throw as many as he can eat in ten mnutes but i feed him alot of vegies and barries so how many am i sopose to feed him and is he like an inguana that grows to the size of their envirment or do they just keep on growing till a ceratin limit o yea 1 more thing if you breed berdies and by some chance you get a morph berdie thats like blue and red do you think it would cost alot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:14 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

How old is your beardie again or what weight is he? As a baby/youngster they need to eat lots so feed as many as he will eat in 10 mins. As an adult you do similar but reduce it to 2-3 times a week. They are expensive but if you buy in bulk then it works out cheaper.
They stop growing when they reach adukt size which can be as early as 10 months or as late as 2 years, each beardie is different :mrgreen:

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:44 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Up until about 7 months old my beardie was eating 25 to 30 medium crickets a day. We then put him on large crickets and he averaged out at 15 a day. At 10 months old he has now reached his adult weight and is now on adult crickets and has 7 of these every other day.

You do need to offer your beardie more than 5 medium/3 large crickets a day UNLESS he has now reached his full adult weight. It is cheaper to buy in bulk. Ensure he has fresh greens in the viv everyday :D

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:22 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

okay i bought him when he was about 6 months old and i think i have him for about 2 months now i dont know if he gre alot it does not look that way but id say he grew a little he is about 1 foot from his nose to the tip of his tail and i feed him about every other day 6 blue barries and alot of cabbage and parsley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:45 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

You need to be providing fresh veg daily plus at least two meals of live daily if possible, as he does look a little undersize for an 8 month old beardie. Up his intake of live food and try and weigh him weekly to check on his progress.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:34 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

He looks really underweight for his age (if his age is correct - could it be he is much younger than you think?). He looks the same size/weight as mine did at 4 month old.You need to do as Rick has said - livefood twice a day (as much as he can eat in 10 min period) and fresh greens/veg everyday. He needs to get some weight on and then when he is of a good weight his food can be reduced. How much does he weigh? Has he had a check up at the vets (and his poop checked for parasites)?

1 dog - Blackie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:45 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

no i havent went with him to the vet because everything seemed fine but like i feed him 2 days ago parsley and some cabbage and like 6 blue berries he loves those and now he wont eat the parsley i gave him three blue bariies he ate only 2 of them but he wants to eat alot of crickets. o yea and on the chart it sas that i should feed him blue barry occasionaly but what can happen if i feed him alot of it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:26 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Too much of certain foods such as berries can cause runny poops. Try and only feed him the berries a few times a week and try and provide him with food listed on the 'staple food' list (i.e the food you can feed everyday). Try to give him a little variety in his diet. My beardie loves salad leaves such as escarole, frizee and loves butternut squash.

Even if he looks well he may still have parasites. When I bought my beardie he was a little thin but had a good appetite, was basking fine and seemed in really good health.I took a poop sample in the first week to my vet and they found coccidia parasites and pin worms, he needed two courses of medication to get rid of them.Once he was well again he started to put his weight on. You really must get his poop checked with a reptile vet to rule out parasites. Untreated parasites can make your beardie very ill.

Please also feed him as many crickets as he needs, he appears to be underweight for his age and really needs feeding up to a better weight. You need to give him as many crickets as he can eat within 10 minutes, twice a day.

1 dog - Blackie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

o okay thanks im going to buy either a 1000 crickets or 500 or 250 im not sure because i have that small plastic cricket holder and do u think i can fitt 500 of them in there and also if he gets like pin worms or something like that and u said that he had to take some kind of courses is that like somemedecation and is it expensive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:34 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

The cricket keeper tubs are designed to hold 200 or 250 (I think!).The problems with over crowding crickets is that they will die quicker, they need space to perch,moult and feed. I would start with the 250 pack and see how you go.

Vets bills will vary from vet to vet. Here in the UK my beardies poop check was £20 and medication £7. Just phone your local reptile vet and get a quote, it may be cheaper than you think. Please keep us updated.

1 dog - Blackie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:49 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Im no expert so please take my comment as is.
When we brought my sons beardie she was 16 weeks old and im sure she was bigger then that,so in my eye judging on the other beardie that was in the viv when we brought her and the size of ours at 16 that looks very small.

dont forget to sprinkle the crix wit calcium also this helps thier bones to grow strong.

25+ Tropical Fish
1 Dog,Alsatian
Pets for 2009
Pets complete for now i hope but thinking of
getting rescue dog friend for current dog.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:14 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Oh yes, I meant to ask if you were using a calcium and multi vit powder?

1 dog - Blackie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:44 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

yea i use calcium on the crikets i havent done it for about a week but now im going to do it every day