mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: beardies and heights?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:54 pm 
EGG
EGG

do beardies prefer to be high up on logs etc or low to the ground on rocks?

im in the middle of making a new basking area for mine and wasnt to sure if he would prefer to be higher up so hes not getting looked down upon all the time. at the moment he sits about 22 iches up, my viv is 4ft high so i wasnt to sure if i make him bask any higher if he will like it?

any thoughts??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:20 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi Giggsy,

The are predominatley a ground dwelling species and as adults arent really 'made' to climb great heights because of there size and bulk which is partly why they go 90% veggie when adult in the wild (i believe but dont quote me on that)

A 4ft high viv would be great for the climbing species like Basalisks/ Iguana's etc so i would recommend keeping everything fairly low and ensuring your beardie has good stable plateforms to sit on rather than branches. Think ground shrubland layout rather than high tree branch layout :)

Hope this helps and also check out the other forums which show other members vivarium set ups.

Ant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:35 pm 
EGG
EGG

hi ant,

the branches and logs will be going in place of platforms for him but i was wondering do you think that they get nervous being looked down on? because mine spends all his time up of the floor he is only a baby so im guessing he just likes climbing.

i'll put some pics up of the viv when ive finally finished building his interior, i think you lot my like a few things :P

just noticed you live in uxbridge? i live in langley lol small world ay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:03 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Slight contradiction here - they are semi arboreal and can be quite happy hanging on the side of a good thick log that they can get their claws into for purchase. The main problem that I see with a 4 ft high enclosure is ensuring that they get adequate UV as most systems are only good for 8~10" after that they're useless.

Rick :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:41 am 
EGG
EGG

[quote="giggsy"]Slight contradiction here - they are semi arboreal and can be quite happy hanging on the side of a good thick log that they can get their claws into for purchase. The main problem that I see with a 4 ft high enclosure is ensuring that they get adequate UV as most systems are only good for 8~10" after that they're useless.

i was told that he has to be with in 18 inches of the uv? at the moment the highest purchase spot is just that, BUT he tends to bask about 10 inches below that so about 28 inches away from the uv, if hes basking!!, if hes not then hes 4ft away :cry:

so now im confused wether to build something higher up where he will spend most of his time nearer the uv, basking etc ( not under the uv he has a heat lamp ), OR maybe install a reflecter for the uv and have him lower to the ground?

i think my viv is possibly too big

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:49 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Firstly what are you using to provide the UV? This will pretty much dictate where it is positioned and its effective range.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:14 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Slightly going off track here but Bug has a UVB strip light which is on during the day. She is within the 10"- 18" of it BUT she goes out of her way sometimes to climb one of her logs (this is a lot of effort for her trust me) and sit within 2" of it.

It's like SHE is dictating what she needs and maybe once or twice a week she 'blasts' herself with UV light by going nice and close and sitting there for a while and the rest of the time she basically sits under her basking lamp (She is four and exceptionally lazy i might add, lol)

She has a 100% clean bill of health from the vet although i didnt ask him about this beahviour im assuming he would say that they know best and are listening to there bodies and if they want something they go and get it. E.g they eat and then bask knowing its the place to be to digest food nice and hot or if they are thirsty they go to the water bowl!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:38 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

They do regulate themselves in the wild, so it's quite possible that this is what she's doing to some extent.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:49 pm 
EGG
EGG

ive got a 48inch 8.0 40w repti glo exo terra uvb

so basically the high shouldnt be a proplem aslong as he can get within range of the uvb?, which means if the range is say 18inches hes got to be roughly over 2ft high most of the time? :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:27 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Your uv bulb needs to be a 10.0 strength anything less than this isn't enough (even the 10.0's don't provide enough but is the highest one you can buy). Can you not provide your beardie with a sloping log or similar so that he can get closer to the uv (8 to 10 iches away ideally)? You can buy pieces of wood/logs from larger petshops or you could find your own outside and give it a good clean with bleach and water to kill any bugs.

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:31 pm 
EGG
EGG

yeah ive got loads of logs that i could postion so he could get right to the top but thats why i started the thread to see if they are ok with heights??

would you recomend 2 uvb lights?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:18 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

You just need the one uv strip light - is it a strip light you are using now? We have a 4 foot viv with a 3 foot uv strip light in, this is all you need but it does have to be a 10.0 strength.

Your beardie will be absolutely fine with climbing - even if he did get nervous climbing up at first (which I assure you he won't) he would just turn around and come back down :lol: Mine loves snoozing on his wood. The wood we use is one we got from a large petshop in the aquatic department - it has a fairly thick width so I know he's he would never fall off! We have this balanced at an angle under his uv (in the warm side)with a big riverstone (about £2 from B&Q) and some large stones/pebbles stolen from the beach underneath.

1 dog - Blackie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:05 pm 
EGG
EGG

ok this is hes layout at the moment, ive chnaged it so he can get within 10 inches of the uvb if wants to. what do you think?

p.s i built the rock wall myself :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:02 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Lovely looking piece of wood but can he actually climb it?!, it looks a very steep climb! Mine sort of gently slopes up from the viv floor. Are you planning to keep him in the 4 foot viv for a long time? It just concerns me that unless he is high up on the wood he won't benefit from the uv at any other time :?

1 dog - Blackie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:00 am 
EGG
EGG

oh yeah he gets up there alright, its only temporay, but you're right it is steep.

The the main reason i started the thread was to distinquish wether they'er good with heights even when there adults ( which you answerd ), because of the distance of the uv light.

I'am in the middle of building a whole new layout like the rock wall but with platforms at differant heights etc and wanted to know wether he would be ok high up because i wanted to get him closer to the uv more. ( i should of stated that first time :roll: )

so beacuse of the height of the viv i was planning the basking spot about 22" high with an alternatives for him to go higher nearer the uv light if he feels the need and a more shaded, cooler spot at the other end. but i need him to be near the uv at all times right? even when hes cooling off?

OR as a wacky idea half the viv and have 2 beardies atleast then there would be no issues, but one is another trouble lol