mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:01 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Hello
I have been having a little problem with wiz being defensive when approaching her.

We have been trying to feed her and she will only eat when the crix is right in front of her she will not move to get them but only when they go near her face she will duck to get it.
Now while we are trying to do this she will at first when we open viv duck back into her little home and when we try to even stroke her she will back off or turn away.
we notice if she dont want out she will turn away and this is fine but she has been backing off a lot compared to usual.

I know when shedding they get a little funny and she does have 2 front legs a shade of grey and also a little of her tail,but she has been this colour for nearly 2 weeks and not shed,she shed one of her back legs but other then that the Grey areas have stayed grey with no sign of shed.

we thought we had sorted this feeding problem out but it seems we have not and her behavior is not getting any better.
are all these things joint up together,what can we do.

also to note we got the new bulb we wanted and the temps have risen is this part of the problem is is not used to the heat.

please give any advice we really dont know what to do.when she ut the viv she really pleasant has a run about crawls on us and always trys to find somewhere to sleep.

She ate 34 crix yesterday and has today so far eaten 12 crix.
Help please.

25+ Tropical Fish
1 Dog,Alsatian
Pets for 2009
Pets complete for now i hope but thinking of
getting rescue dog friend for current dog.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You say she goes back into her little home? Does this mean you have a cave or shelter for her? If so, how much time does she spend in there? Just asking as beardies need to have 10 - 12 hours exposure to UV per day, and any time hiding in a cave or shelter detracts from that. This can make them feel unwell, which leads to them not eating, which leads to them feeling worse etc. etc.

34 crickets sounds a healthy amount to eat - if she ate more yesterday she might not be so hungry today. It does go like that with them.

As long as she is still eating I wouldn't worry too much. You might want to try feeding her in a bowl as she is a bit lazy chasing crickets to make it easier for her.

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:07 pm 
EGG
EGG

we had a similar problem wen we moved house, fred seemed really unsure of change in surroundings it took him about 2 wks but is fine now. so that could be possible explanation if vivarium has changed place. it wasnt very nice cos we had fred from bout 6 wks old and was used to kids but wen we put our hands in he backed off and puffed up . but it just took him longer than my other dragons 2 settle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:29 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

@Webmaster
yes she has a shelter that we put together but she never used it til these past few days .it seems she using it too hide not shelter as such.we had her 2 months and these past few days as said is the only time she has used it at all.

@sarahnkazzzz
Nah nothing changed,since the 2 months we had her the viv in same place and same setup inside.But i know what you mean when we first got her it took about a week or so before she starting eating properly.

we had thought she used the shelter more to keep cool since the new bulb we got getting proper heats.
We getting the new viv tmw so will have more problems with the heat plus the change so will affect her eating again.

thanks for the replies.

25+ Tropical Fish
1 Dog,Alsatian
Pets for 2009

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:43 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Just been reading ricks Brumation post.
Is this a possible reason why se doing this,since she does like to sleep a lot.
when we get her out to play she used to run around a lot for about 20-30 minutes(or until we feel she getting cold0 and then just doze but these days she will go in the hall and find anywhere and i mean anywhere to sleep within about 5 minutes she wants to sleep.

As im in scotland and it cold most times anyway,but got a lot colder after xmas could this be a reason.we are still keeping temps as usual and she has a nightlight for warmth since it does get damn cold during the night when central heating goes off.

1 more thing,lol
i keeping thining of stuff to try and help you advise me the best way.
her lihts change 8-8.so 8pm at night we change to night light and 8am we changed back.
Some times when we go to change the back to day light she is awake bt many times she still alseep.
we have a snuggle sock for her which is kinda fluffy which she will snuggle up to at night to sleep.
just a thought.

25+ Tropical Fish
1 Dog,Alsatian
Pets for 2009

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

How old is your beardie? What substrate is she on? (sorry if you have already told us this info-I've forgotton!.)

Unless your beardie is adult, fully grown and has reached her adult weight then she should be prevented from brumating. If she is young then I suspect brumating isn't the problem. What are the temperatures now inside the viv? High temps (unless they are way too high) will not affect her in a bad way, they love the heat and providing she has a cool area inside the viv, she will go to this if she is too warm and needs to cool down. Is she basking throughout the day? What basking bulb are you using (is it a clear white bulb?).

I would remove the hide inside the viv and replace it with something she can hide BEHIND but not under if she feels the need, this way she will be under the uv and heat at all times. By hiding and missing out on essential uv, in the long run this could cause serious problems. Sometimes beardies sulk a few days before they are going to shed - if she took herself off into her hide she may well be feeling even worse having not been under the uv and heat. Heat is needed to digest food properly - if she isn't digesting her food as she should that could also make her feel worse. I would either remove the hide and replace it with a piece of wood/log she can get behind (but still under uv) or maybe you could block up the entrance to the hide and move it so she can only get behind it? You have to be cruel to be kind I'm afraid.

If you are moving her to a new viv then expect her to be quiet and out of sorts for a while as she settles. Good luck!

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:34 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

she is nearly 6 months old now,sub is grey sand,but will be changing to a fine cream sand in new viv.
with the new light the temps are 100 on basking side and 75 on cool side.
she doesn't bask the whole day she tends to bask for a few hours then takes a walk over too the cool side which has double log which she will either climb to the top of or hide behind in the shade.
I have 2 bulbs one ceramic and another one.the one we have in at the moment has white at bottom and clear at the top.
the shelter can be be moved without problem.i do notice that she will bask until hot(mouth open) but wont move for ages.but when she does she go to cool end of viv and scratch at the side.
my thoughts were it maybe too hot and she wants to get further away from the heat..

Hopefully with the new viv she will get lots more room so can choose the best place for her.she still digesting and pooped in a warm bath yesterday but nothing today yet.

25+ Tropical Fish
1 Dog,Alsatian
Pets for 2009

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:49 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Those temps are fine so please don't worry about them being too hot for her. When they bask open mouthed it basically is a lazy way of cooling their body down-they can't be bothered to move :roll:

I find it easier to feed outside the viv in a large plastic toybox type tub - just empty in the crickets and they have nowhere to hide and your beardie doesn't have far to hunt/catch them.You may find this an easier way of feeding. My beardie would never hunt crickets and if they hid inside the viv he would just leave them alone and hardly eat anything. If you still decide to feed inside the viv then when you set up the new viv I would provide a slate/tile area (like sandstone) in which to feed her on, reason being that when beardies catch livefood on sand they can take mouthfuls of sand accidently which can lead to impactation.

Just to answer one of your earlier posts about when you turn the heat on in the morning and she is still asleep-this is totally fine.It can take them one to two hours sometimes to actually warm up and start moving on a morning so don't worry.

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:14 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I know it isn't recommended for them to brumate in their first year - mainly because they don't have the body weight to get them through 3 months of sleep. However that doesn't mean that nature won't kick in and slow them down and it does sound as if that's happening here. It's going to be difficult to say however with all the changes happening. Your temps are fine and as long as s/he has a good temp. gradient then overheating won't be a problem, keep on as normal with feeding and assuming nothing else is wrong, then in a few weeks it'll all be back to normal.

Rick