mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Another one for you
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:39 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

:oops: Hi guys..... sorry have another puzzle for you!!!!

As some of you may know Spike ( the male ) & Kymeera ( the female ) have been living together blissfully for a couple of months ( well until today ) but I will get to that later...... we bought another female who is 2 & a half years old & has been in quarantine & we have been slowley introducing her to Spike & Kymeera. Last Saturday we put the new one ( we have not named her yet ) in the same viv as the other 2..... Oh boy did Spike think all his birthdays had come at once :wink: I am surprised his head is still attached to his body with all the head bobbing :lol: As far as we are aware nothing has happened as yet.... he seems to do all the right actions makes a move on her then quickly turns around and grabs something to eat :? We was a bit worried about Kymeera as she is a good bit smaller than the new one so we was worried incase the big one took a pick on her. But no things have been going great until this past weekend when Kymeera has took it upon herself to jump on the bigger one & started bitting her...... to say we DIDN'T see that coming is an understatement :!: Today however Kymeera decided to head bob big time & have a go at Spike!!!! I know what you are all thinking are we sure Kymeera is female....... That was the first thing I looked at & I am seeing nothing to make me think she is male. Also why have they been getting on ok for the last couple of months? Surley if it was male then Spike being the dominant male would never have allowed Kymeera in. Is it just jealously in her part? Spike is really good as not to leave any of them out he takes turns about in being beside each of them & cuddleing! them :lol:

We are well aware Kymeera is too young to be in with spike but before we got her she had been in with an Agama since the last people last bought her..... she was so unhappy being on her own & has come on great since the 2 of them have been in together. In fact the both of them seemed to be thriving. I weighed them all yesterday:-

Spike 1& a half years ( if his age is right )........ 319g

Kymeera around 10/11 months....... 213g

And big mamma 2 & a half years....... 505g

I am sorry it's a long one & for this I apologise but I think I have covered everything ( please be nice to me :oops: )As I know more than one of you will not agree how we have done things but we had nearly lost Kymeera as she was so unhappy.

Jeanette x

Post subject: Re: Another one for you
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It could be that she is male - or a very dominant female! I sold a couple of my babies as females, then at a year old one laid eggs - the other couldn't be sexed either by the vet viewing it, or xray!!!! So they thought they had a late developing male - until she laid eggs too!

The one they thought might be male was also showing male behaviour!

(Mind you, another 'expert' had sexed the first to lay eggs as male!).

So sometimes it takes until they lay eggs to know for sure! I certainly didn't realise quite how difficult it sometimes is to sex beardies!

The only advice I have is to see how it goes - Kymera might be female, and seeing her as a threat. She might think Spike is 'hers'. You might need to take the new female out if she doesn't settle - as you know, beardies can be pretty nasty to each other!

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:26 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

It is quite possible that Kymeera is a late developing male, it's not unheard of for 12~15 month old "females" to suddenly turn out to be males. All you can really do is watch and have another viv ready in case they need to be separated.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Hi thanks for the replies. I have another viv on standby just incase & I am in most days so I am managing to keep an eye on what is happeneing fingers crossed it is just jealousy on Kymeera's part :lol: I had read that females might be late developing males & I know Kymeera is at that age just now but got a shock with what you said Rick I honestly thought by 12-15 months the sex would be well and truley noticable :? They are worse than children..... there is never 2 days the same with them..... & boy do they worry you :lol:

Jeanette x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:01 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I know of at least two cases over 12 months. One was easily identified when he got the other male by the throat and dangled him off the side of a branch!!

Rick :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:18 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Ouch that's nasty.

Kymeera has been head bobbing all day & went onto the females back & was biting her behind her head. ( I know this is how a MALE mates with a female )

Spike was head bobbing at Kymeera & Kymeera just head bobbed back at him until that today she has always armed waved
Does this mean I'm in trouble???? From what I am seeing it looks like I have 2 males & 1 female not the position I was hoping to be in, but Spike being the dominant male how has he tolerated and still is tolerating another male being in his territory? That to me does not make sense by what I have read & been told about 2 males being together.

Jeanette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've heard of very rare occasions where two males do live together - although this could possibly be a change of mistaken sexing of course.

It could be that your two were tolerating each other, but bringing a female into the equation has upset the balance. Or it could be that Kymera doesn't know what she is yet - she isn't adult size yet, so could be going through a reptilian puberty.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:37 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Thanks Trish, so do you think we keep things as they are but keep an eye on them or do you think we should split them up? As much as she is head bobbing she has never turned black under the beard like spike has. We thought we were doing good putting in another female so the pressure was not always on Kymeera once & if Spike ever tried anything on her. As we read it is better to put more than one female in but hey........beardies can't read eh :lol:

Jeanette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Depends how you think they are. I don't know what I am talking about really, but to my mind, if it looks like mating behaviour and not fighting then just keep a careful watch on it and see how they go. Two dogs of the same sex will mount each other to show dominance - wonder if it could be something like that, and she's putting the new female in her place?

If it looks like she means business and wants to tear the new one limb from limb then separate.

What's Spyro doing while this is going on?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:51 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Just like any other bloke he lies back and watches the action :lol: I was led to believe if they are biting the back of the neck while being on top of the female was a sure sign of trying to mate the only thing Kymeera is not doing while doing this is turning black which Spike does I think going black but not blowing up his beard is like the come on to the female :oops: ( God hope that makes sense )

Jeanette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shrek doesn't go dark when he is 'in the mood'. He goes a very lovely bright yellow! You can always tell when he's ready for some action. (Luckily so can Fi and she retreats to her hammock! :lol: ).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:58 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Oh right now that has really confused me as Spike goes jet black then goes through the quick head bob action makes a run for her then turns away & grabs a quick bite to eat :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now that could be dominance rather than anything sexual - espeically if he goes for the food after. Could be warning her away from the food.

Mind you, that's just Shrek, but it does make sense they show their full colour when after a bit. Like us dressing up I suppose!

I'd keep an eye on all three, as from the sound of it I wouldn't know who to separate! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:10 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Yes I agree actually reading it, it does sound more like dominance :cry: We explained what Spike was doing to the reptile shops we go to & both said it would just be a matter of time before he tried it on as this was the usual sign of mating :evil: I even read it on the net somewhere that if a beardie goes black without puffing up his beard it is a sign of being interested in the female.
But it makes sense to show of thier colours rather than going black.

Jeanette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:23 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

The whole problem is really that if you do have two males they can turn nasty at the drop of a hat! I know of at least one case where the owner came home to a dead beardie and a do it yourself kit that needed veterinary attention :shock: and they'd been together happily for a year or more. It may almost be worth getting a dna test done to establish sex rather than risk it.

Rick