Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:23 pm 
EGG
EGG

:?
Im a bit confused on how to handle my dragon Zippy for the best,
When I go into the tank, he seems to have his mouth wide open - well it has only been a day! :oops: and I dont think he has been handled that much...

Im a bit worried of getting bitten, but please everyone, how did you start and what did you do to help tame your beardie? I sooo want to play lol, is he too young at 5 weeks to start?

Fantail Goldfish - Bo - 6
Brown Throated Conure Parrot - 10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:39 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Never too young to start handling but too soon if you have only just got him. Leave 'it' to settle down for a few days and then try hand feeding, perhaps some live food if you can (put crickets in the fridge for 5/10 minutes to slow them down.

erm what else? Slow and steady movements and if your going to pick him/ her (it) up then do it. Dont hesitate and go in for the hold and then shy away otherwise you make your beardie feel insecure and scared.

good luck and always ALWAYS hold your beardie softly but firmly. Never let it fall. Ant.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:36 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

It really depends on when YOU think he is old enough to hold him.
Every beardies different!!!
There are loads of different ways of holding beardies so just look around online!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:12 pm 
EGG
EGG

Ive only just got my Two babies which our only 6-7 weeks old. Ive been handling them since they first came given each of them about the same ammount of time. Bit of hand feeding them when i can, But also i actualy have found that they really like to be held, And found that they really like to be stroked, and have found that when they looked stressed it appeared to carm them down and settle them abit.

Got to ask thou as some one said some thing about not dropped them, How do they handle falls and drops as such, Asking cause ive got 3 kids.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:11 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks guys,
Quick question as the breeder i brought off picked them up by the tail and then scooped then up with the other hand is this ok, as i thought it might have hurt them - but they are so fast!!

Will have a look round to see if i can get any inspiration aswell though.... :oops:

Fantail Goldfish - Bo - 6
Brown Throated Conure Parrot - 10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:02 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

the breeder i brought off picked them up by the tail and then scooped then up with the other hand
Not unless you've been handling babies for a while!
The method I'd suggest is to let them come to you, hand in front where they can see it and slide it under them so they effectively walk on to you. As babies they have an in built fight or flight instinct as they are considered food by just about everything else they meet in the wild, so when you blunder in to the viv, hand racing down on them from above like a hawk they will start to panic and either face you with mouth open or go skittering across the floor away from you. Once they are on your hand you should them hold them gently but firmly at the base of the tail to stop accidental leaps onto the floor. They can and do strain or break limbs in falls, we've had two babies over the last few years where they've had sprained wrists needing strapping due to falls, so you do need to be careful.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:32 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

I normally hold my left hand out flat in front of Oz, stroke his head with my right hand so not to spook him, then gently pick him up and put him on my left hand whilst holding him secure with my right hand....does that make sense?!

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy