mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brumation
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:19 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

It could be the weather still - although temps in the viv are good they are affected by external conditions, but having a test done for parasites is good practice and should be done annually anyway.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:46 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks Rick its always good to get advice from a more experienced beardie owner!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:42 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi Rick,

Sorry to bring up an old thread but it is sticky'd for a reason I guess. My beardy George is acting very strange lately and I'm wondering if it is brumation. He has gone off his food quite drastically. He had 5 crickets this morning but didn't eat at all yesterday and could only be bothered to go for 1 cricket the day before. He sometimes eats some kale or squash but doesn't seem interested in it at all.

He's gone very lethargic and is hiding away, sometimes sleeping during the day.

He's been like this for 2 weeks now. I'm trying to find a decent local reptile vet to get a fecal test done but if that comes back ok can I presume its signs of brumation?

Oh and he is 9 months old

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:17 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Sounds pretty much like it - get the test done anyway and let us know what he weighs at the moment (this is important so you can check his progress over winter).

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:25 pm 
EGG
EGG

At the moment he weighs 320grams. I'll be sure to keep an eye on his weight. Today all he's eaten is a mouthful of squash. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:28 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

He's a good weight so if he does shut himself down for winter I wouldn't be too worried. Do get the fecal test done, otherwise I feel he should be OK.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:12 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

After a month of worrying non stop about Diego's behaviour and lack of eating, we've come to the conclusion (thanks for this forum and all the advice) that he is ok and it's brumation.
We're going to leave him in is viv and slowly decrease the temp and obviously stop offering him food - he hasn't eaten propertly for two/three weeks anyway.
We haven't had a beardie go through Brumation before and it's a bit worrying due to them not having any heat/UV. I know it's a natural thing, but it's still a worry!
Will Diego be ok with out any water? I have never seen him drink for his bowl of water, and I will keep a bowl in his viv, but do I need to wake him up and offer him any water?
Does he need to be any where quite for the brumation period? How do I know when he's ready for the heat and UV to be slowly turned back on?
Thank you for any advice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:24 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

I gave Diego a bath (to make sure he didn't have old food inside him, ready for brumation), and he had a drink. This is the only time I see him drink. He didn't poop so I'm guessing I shouldn't settle him down until he goes to the toliet??
Also, in the day time, Diego isn't properly asleep - he is laying under his log but either has his eyes open or half closed. Is this ok?
I weighed him again today. He now weighs 442 and has lost 1g since the 1st Oct. Could this be due to the lights etc being on which keep his metabolic rate still work? I'm worried as he's losing weight.
Although he's not eating, he will like veg baby food off my finger.
Sorry for all the information, I'm really worried about Diego and want to make sure he's ok!
My last question is that the vet said he had worm eggs in his poop sample. He gave him two lots of treatment for them. Is it wise to take Diego back to make sure he's all clear before brumation?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:18 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

He should get an all clear from the vet for worms and he does need to empty out before settling down. They do tend to just lay about half asleep until you start turning everything down, so to me it all sounds fairly normal including the slight weight loss. I know it's nerve wracking but it really does sound like a lead up to brumation and personally I'd treat it as such.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:58 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Morning Rick
Its Toms Wife Sam otherwise known as Wifeeeeeyyyy just read your post about brumnation shall we leave slash in his viv with no lights etc and cover him up or shall we put him in a box in the bedroom we didnt have this last year so this is a first for us. :?:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:15 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

T osme degree it's personal preference, however if he's left in his viv. it needs to be constantly cold and quiet. In a box you can tuck him away somewhere where the temps are fairly constant and cool, we put our guys in a walk-in robe where it's dark, quite and the temp is around 14C all winter. Hope this helps.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:46 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Cheers Rick he snuggled in to a cardboard box and has bee put in the wardrobe with some water and newspaper. we added his digital thermometer so as to keep an eye on his temp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:37 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

I'm gonna take Diego to the vets to get an all clear re his poop sample, then settle him down for the winter.
I was gonna black out his viv, but after Reading Rick's last comment, I realised it wouldn't be constantly quiet.
I've been trying to think of where Diego can go. I'm thinking the cupboard under the stairs is the best bet. It's not heated and he wouldn't be disturbed.
What's the best substrate for the shoe box? Shall I use the substrate from his viv or does he need to dig and hide in the box?
One last question! I want to make sure Diego is ok while he's sleeping. Should I check him daily? Do I just look at him or wake him up? Also, I will make sure he has water in his box, but he never drinks out of his bowl. Is this ok or do I need to feed him water?
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:05 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

We put paper pellet kitty litter in the bottom of the box and cover it with paper towels - usually our dragons end up under the towels! Once they've settled down we check on them weekly, just a quick peep in the box without moving it, this doesn't seem to worry them. We haven't been putting water in but once you notice that they're starting to move around then you can offer a little in his bowl.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:47 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Sorry to post yet another question on here. This brumation thing is causing me worry!
Diego got the all clear from the vets so we've been turning down his temp to get him ready for brunatuon.
I have been giving him baths to try and make sure he has no food inside him. He hasn't eaten in a month but had a few licks of baby food about a week ago.
So far he hasn't been pooped. The last time he went was about two weeks ago. Is it ok to settle
him down now?
Also Diego hasn't drunk any water for about a week. He has a few drops off my finger but that's it.
He now weighs 439g. So he's lost about 4/5 g in about 3 weeks. Is that ok?
I would like to settle him down now as he sleeps all day, even with the light and uv on. I'm just concerned about his weight loss, the fact he hasn't drunk for a while and that he hasn't been to the loo.
Thank you again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next