mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brumation
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:32 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

No food once you start cooling down and also make sure that she's emptied her bowels and if possible it's better to pack her away but if not then see that the viv is covered so she's not disturbed.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:44 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Spike is really confusing me , past couple of week he has been sleeping on and off, anyway about 6-7 days ago he done a massive poo, bigger than usual, snuggled up in the corner of his viv exactly the same as lizzy and has not moved sinse, so i started the brumation with him and had just his heat lamp on , no food,anyway today he decides he is going to wake up and bask , so i have gave him some carrot ( i have no salad as i thought he was asleep) and he has just munched 3 medium dubias and then shut his eyes like its knackered him, at the moment he is in the middle of his viv looking rather happy and awake.Advice of what to do next if he goes back to sleep or does not would be most appreciated .

Just a little note,Lizzy is soundo and all covered with a spare blanket now bless her

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:00 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

You shouldn't have fed him :cry: Now you need to wait 'til he's done another poo then start turning everything down ignoring the occasional waking period unless he just keeps waking and running round the viv. in which case he's not going to brumate.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:35 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Oh no :( Tut me

About an hour after eating he got back in the same sleeping position and place ,but his eyes were open , i think he is being a cheeky chappy with me at the moment, his asleep today so think i might re-start the Brumation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:18 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Checked on Lizzy yesterday and she had moved, where her tail was her head now was.Just checked on her again and she has her head up one eye staring at me and the other shut, so i just shut the blanket as to not disturb her but i really really wanted a cuddle!! we miss her so much she had such a lovely personality Spike is just a grumpy git now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:39 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Been checking on lizzy everyday and sinse sunday she has moved and had one eye open, this morning she was over her food bowl (which is empty) she was watching everything i was doing with a really black beard, do i need to start warming her up again she has been asleep about a month now?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:01 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Just leave things alone for another few days (covered up etc.) occasionally if there are a couple of warmer days they'll wake have a wander then off to sleep again. I'd normally expect a couple of months before waking, but if Lizzy is stil moving around/awake in a week then start warming her again.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:13 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Ok thanks Rick , no chance of warming up here its freesing today, there was frost everywhere this morning :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:06 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Low 30's and thunder storms here :lol:

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:27 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Ok after a week of checking on her every few hours and her being awake and moving positions everytime we come to the conclusion she is done sleeping, this morning i lifted the blanket said hello lizzy as she was awake and she came right up to the glass and started scratching so i have turned her lights back on and she went straight to it and basked, walking very slowly.

I have put her heat on a few degrees lower than normal , put abit of salad in her bowl but thats all so far as i wanted to check when we should feed her live food

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:43 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Give her about a week then start back in with all the normal food.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:41 pm 
EGG
EGG

A bit of help needed please....

Looks like our dragon, Norbert, that we rehomed in October is going into brumation. He hasn't left his hide for 20 days so about 10 days ago I started dropping temperatures and covered his viv to exclude natural light. I've left the UVB on for 8 hours a day.

Our house is an old 4 storey semi and it gets very cold in the room he's in, what would be a safe temperature to drop the viv down too? It currently reads 28 centigrade at the warm end and 18 centigrade at the cool end with the night temps dropping to 16 and 12 respectively. I am not sure how quickly and far I should drop the temps, I think it would get close to 3 centigrade or maybe less in the middle of the night if I turned the heating off totally.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:18 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Ours all go down to 16C and stay at that temp during brumation quite safely.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:58 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

hello all,
i have asked on here loads of times for help which i am given but nothing seems to work .. so i will have another go as im soooo worried about my 6month old baby girl lola she just will NOT bask!! she lays in her hid ALL DAY never comes out even to eat.. only to poop which has slowed down from once a day to 1 every 3 days..

i was told it was the coil bulb i had in the first time hurting her eyes so i changed that to a 10.0 uvb tube placed on the back wall about a quater of the way down right next to the 60watt basking bulb i have in i have all the correct temps as i had help for this b4... and she still does it i thought mayb its to hot in there with the 60watt bulb so i changed down to a 4owatt but that wasnt it she did the same hid all day,,, so i swapped it back to the 60watt as it was only sitting at about 90F in there with the 40watt and she was cold to the touch so my temps are now back to around 100-105F.. i have blocked her favorite hidy hole up in the day much to her dimay but she just finds another place in the shade to sit ... she is trying to sleep all day digging about an hour AFTER the lights are turned ON!! not off ON!! now i know this is rare and it can happen but does this sound like baby brumation? i wrapp her up for bed and the other morning i turned the lights on and had to go out when i came home a couple of houses later she was still under her cover ...

she has just finished a full body shed and i thought she mite be acting like this because of her shedding but she has been worse since the shed! she did have a problem with shedding it was taking ages for her skin to peal after going pale but now i have moved the uvb tube she sheds normal quick it seems now.. her tail is about to shed again in the next couple of days

i bath her ever other day and syringe feed her water, she has fresh veg every morning, i dust her locust with calci dust. feed her everyday 2ce a day as much as she will eat for 15mins, i laser my temps hot end 100-105F cool end 85 - 90F apox, she has plenty to climb on but never does she just wants to sleep all the time she doesnt even eat unless i put it right infront of her face and she hant been eating very much at all of about a week and a half

i just dont know what to do.. she is my first beardie and i am starting to think its me and that she doesnt like living here and would she be happier sum were else as it would break my heart to give her away but i hate the thought of her being unhappy here in my care :(

any help i would really appreciate (posted own topic in behavier b4 saw this topic so its in both lol)

many thanks

sophie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:26 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Simpler to answer it in the other post, may get confusing otherwise.

Rick

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next