mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brumation
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:41 pm 
EGG
EGG

Cheers Rick really helpful as Sam slows down and Dehl just charges about..lol. Hopefully once theyve got their own vivs then he'll go under properly with some peace. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:47 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

hi my bearded dragon lola has been actin weird for a month not eating sitting in the cold end of the viv under her hide (i took the hide out but she just dug her face under somthin to make it dark anywhere she could) stopped pooing and will not bask i took her vets and he said to start force feeding if there was no change as she is heathy.. so i did for the last two days with evolved meal worms BUt then i read the link on the thread and i have worked out that that artical about sings of brumation could have been wrote about lola! so since i did force feed her for a couple of days i had to try and get her to poop! she did have a poop in the bath after massaging, HURRAY! when i put her back in i placed her on the basking spot to get warm she sat for a couple of mins then zoop... straight in her hide... i have decided to let her sleep and let her come out when she is ready... is that right? should i leave the lights on while she is sleeping in her hide? (she is inside the habba hut covered by the black top)

i will check her periodicity and get her out every week for a 20min bath... i just need those few questions awnsered.. many thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:39 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

If this was brumation then all the lights and heating should be off and she should be left alone, that includes not bathing her. However as you're coming in to summer it is very unlikely that that is the cause as this behaviour is more consistant with a medical or intestinal parasite problem. However if your vet has given her a clean bill of health and you've had a fecal float done then turning every thing off and leaving her for a few weeks may just be the only solution. Do weigh her however and keep a check on her weight to see she's not loosing any. If she is then wou'll need to warm her up and start feeding her again.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:46 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

thanks rick, will she just get up when she is ready? how will i know she is up and awake

also its still quiet wet and nit very warm where i live so im hopein its gna b a semi brumation

Last edited by sophiehawes on Tue May 14, 2013 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:49 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

She'll start moving around again :)

Rick

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:54 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

great if this isnt the problem then back to the vets i will go... but i really think this is what she has beeen needing and i have been keeping her awake :oops: like i said its still quite cold and wet here...
so u dont suggest getting her up for a bath everyweek i read that its good to hydrate them ... i

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:40 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Doesn't happen in nature, none of my peers over here do it and the only place I've seen it recommended was on bearded dragon org. by a woman who seemed to have little idea of their living conditions in the wild :evil:

Rick

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:29 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

ok great, it was the first day of sleeping today i did get her up to weigh her so i know if she has lost any weight she was about 350g ... so il keep an eye on her.. i jusy checked her and she is fast asleep ... i wont get her up to bath i will take ur advice many thanks for ur halp again.... bet u think oooooooo god not her again :D

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:22 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Just a thought :) did you try taking her hide out altogether (I cannot remember) as if she had nowhere to hide she may perk up as it does seem funny with our weather slowly heating up :) forget it if you did :)

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:54 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

hi,
yeah i tried she just finds somewere else to try and sleep lol usually in the bush to try and cover her eyes to go sleep.. she seems to bee sleeping all the time niw when i check her she is always got her eyes shut so i think that im going to just leave her.. i mean i have tried everythin else she has had a clean bill of health from the vet this is the only thing i havnt tried (letting her sleep) so il let u know how i get on there is nothing more i can do really thanks for all your help guys i just hope she doesnt die coz i will b heart broken :(

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:14 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

My Therru only had a three week brumation (December) and I often wonder if I should have left him for the full three months ; as when he woke up he didn't eat properly (lost 88g) and has only this last two weeks since the weather has improved ; started eating 4 hoppers every second day. I have said this next winter he is getting a full three month Brumation and Im just not going to look at him till that's up apart from changing water dish. He was over 500g to start in December a big boy :lol: but He is now putting some back on :lol: :lol: Hope all goes well for you :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:34 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Catmishka33 wrote:My Therru only had a three week brumation (December) and I often wonder if I should have left him for the full three months ; as when he woke up he didn't eat properly (lost 88g) and has only this last two weeks since the weather has improved ; started eating 4 hoppers every second day. I have said this next winter he is getting a full three month Brumation and Im just not going to look at him till that's up apart from changing water dish. He was over 500g to start in December a big boy :lol: but He is now putting some back on :lol: :lol: Hope all goes well for you :lol:

aww i weighed lola yesterday and she is 350g so il keep and eye on that i know its quite late in the year but i have been keeping her awake so if i hadnt she would have been asleep through the winter fingers crossed this is what she wants she hasnt got up yet so she must b tired lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:42 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Iam wondering if Lizzy is trying to brumate again?

Past 2 weeks she has done nothing but sleep at the cool end of her viv , not eating, not basking..hardley even moving.Tell a lie she has eaten one or two morios when i have put them right infront of her.She did have a mini brumation over winter but woke up early,so does she need a `top up` or is it to the vets again?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:25 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

My daughters Dragon just acted like that for a few weeks and the took it to the Vets. He has done faecal float and bloods and it has medicine Baytree ? spelling. Just awaiting the results. Just get a vets advice before you think brumation to be on the safe side :) thinking of you :)

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:16 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

There's no way her body should be telling her to brumate at this time of year - if anything she should be thinking about producing eggs! It sounds as if you need her checked over including the usual fecal float.

Rick

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next