Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:49 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

well............
i'll probs get some stick for this story but at least it has a happy ending

monday 1st off june really warm day so given the chance to get my bd;s natural sun i had them out for a bit using the ferret leads and harness they loved it put them bck in viv ready for feeding
had dinner bd's and us (humans)
post mans delivers us a parcel whooooo i thought the proper harnshes for the bd's have came so i have to try it out
this is wear my night mare started my other half took princess the shop wearing her new PROPER bd harness he wasnt walking her she was hitching a ride on shoulder but i always make sure they have leads etc on so something like this wouldnt happen didnt i get a shock :shock:
she escaped
and jumped into a bush
he ran bck to the house to tell me she gone i scream coz he lefted her but she hide from him
he was lookin in the garden for bout an hr he had a police office helping him look for a bit i rang the rspca but they couldnt help
i told my partner to come home as he been looking now for 1hr .30mins
i swapped places so to speak as 3 kids were in the house
i loooked under the bush, in the grass, behind drinepipes,just bout anything i could find and just when i was thinking the worse (tht she gone 4eva) i walked around the bush to get to the street to come home and i felt a sharp stcratch dwn me arm lucky i never hit out i thought i just got stung
it was princess she was sat under the hedge but sat on the wall seen me and jumped on my shoulder i cnt say how relieved i am tht she spotted me god no's what would off happened 2 her
but a few questions ?

i cnt understand why princess and prince have never escaped from the ferret leads and harness but did from the one that are supposed to be made for them?
And why wouldnt the rspca help me !! when there supposed to be all for animal welfare !!but yet if it was a cat or dog they b there in a shot

1 partner =alan
3 children = layla, aleo, debbie
2 bearded dragons = princess, prince
2 love birds = katie, peter
fish tank = 2 oscars reggie , ronnie
2 english bull mastiffs = milly , mia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:35 am 
EGG
EGG

That's a great story! And I'm so glad it had a happy ending, she must love you a lot!!! I work for the SPCA in my area. All an officer can do is pick up strays or surrenders, offer a trap, give you tips on how to lure it home or take a lost report. They are not allowed to help people look for missing animals. I'm not sure where you are but I'm pretty sure it works the same basicly. I'm so happy for you that you got your baby back! You must have been so frightened!!

Proud Mom of:
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Green Tree Frog
5 Fish
6 Hermit Crabs
1 Dog
3 Cats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:40 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

i was more disappionted in the fact they didnt give me advise and ok at the time i did except the world to stop and help lol
but she was out there alone i couldnt imgaine the kids out there all alone and the same goes for the bd's :lol:
but do understand that they dont have the staff to help in some situtions :D

i was frightened tbh i rang my dad cryin lol but tht hr and 30mins she was missing many things were going through my mind
i cnt beleive she jumped at me either may it was just pot luck it was me passing coz she is so used to bein handled or maybe she knew it was me (which i hope she did )

1 partner =alan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:14 am 
EGG
EGG

my_prince wrote:i was more disappionted in the fact they didnt give me advise and ok at the time i did except the world to stop and help lol
but she was out there alone i couldnt imgaine the kids out there all alone and the same goes for the bd's :lol:
but do understand that they dont have the staff to help in some situtions :D

i was frightened tbh i rang my dad cryin lol but tht hr and 30mins she was missing many things were going through my mind
i cnt beleive she jumped at me either may it was just pot luck it was me passing coz she is so used to bein handled or maybe she knew it was me (which i hope she did )

Now that DOES disappoint me!!! They should have been the first people to understand what you were going through!!! They should have offered you a food trap, they should have taken her description and listed a lost report, they should have told you to put her favorite food outside and told you to try and not to worry too much. Our SPCA would have! Lol I'm just so happy you found her, I would have felt the exact same way! I'd expect the universe itself to stop and help me find my baby! My pets are not pets, they are part of my family, my children!!! I can only imagine the absolute horror!!! That hour and a half must have felt like an ice age!!!! And I bet more then anything it was because she recognized you. You were in the right place at the right time and she knew her mommy! I'm so glad she's home!!!

Proud Mom of:
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Green Tree Frog
5 Fish
6 Hermit Crabs
1 Dog
3 Cats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:59 am 
im glad it was a happy ending that was a great story your beardie must really love you for him to jump on your shoulder lol and how long have you had him for

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Amazing story - thank goodness you found her! (or rather she found you! :shock: )

Perhaps she was a little shocked about her sudden freedom too!

Is the leash the correct size, and was it adjusted tightly enough? Ours can wriggle out of theirs if they are too loose (the harness slides down their body). If your make shift harnesses are more secure to be honest I'd stick with them!

So pleased it had a happy ending.

Shame about the RSPCA - why don't you write/email them and ask what their normal response is in a situation like this? You could suggest what would have helped you (perhaps along the lines Dinah suggested), and suggest they bear this in mind in future?

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:28 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

What a story! That goodness it had such a happy ending :lol:

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:51 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

So pleased you found her. They do become part of your family so easily and quickly :D

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:25 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

ive had princess since 16 july 2008
i was shocked my self when shefound but at least she did :lol:
did tighten the lead but not tight enough by the look off it :?
the toy ferret leads are great and they come in different funky colours and NEVER a escape so bonus
thanks for the replies

1 partner =alan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:58 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Great story im glad you found Princess ! I would be so worried if yoshi or roxy escaped ! x

p.s the RSPCA turn most people down as they dont want anything to do with peoples problems which is stupid because yes they are suppose to help people ! x but dont worry you didnt need them you didnt give up on princess ! x