mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: single parent eggs!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:40 pm 
EGG
EGG

hello. i have joined this site to share my confusion. Our beardie spyro who is about 2 yrs, and never had a mate, has been very restless. She is scratching her way into the ground and we expected her to end up in australia. Last night i almost passed out. Beside her in the viv were 15 little yellow eggs. HELP!! Is she going to be a single parent. There cannot possibly be babies as there has never been a mate. i have removed them from the viv as i thought she might eat them. How can this happen? :!:

Post subject: Re: single parent eggs!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:25 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hello again :)
Well firstly dont worry, your doing something right if she is laying eggs. Congratulations on putting up with that constant digging and scratching .. It drives me MAD for a few months every year and my beardie hasnt been anywhere near a male either, heheee

Now she has laid she will be exhausted and EXCEPTIONALLY hungry so loads and loads of well fed (gutloaded) live food and big bowls of nutritious veg and salad everyday to help her restore the nutrients/ calcium/ vitamins and minerals she has lost during laying.

Dont hold back on the food and supplements, she needs them more than ever right now. :)

Post subject: Re: single parent eggs!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's exactly the same as chickens - hens kept for egg laying have never been near a cockerel, but out pops all those eggs. Pet birds can lay eggs too without being mated.

Some female beardies do, some don't. As Ant says, she needs a lot of TLC now though, even though the eggs are not fertilized she's gone through exactly the same body stress as if she'd been laying for real!

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk