mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:16 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi, didnt really know which area to put this is so decided as its like a story and covering everything from equipment, to our dragon I'd stick it here.
I'll update this as things happen. So heres the 1st installment.

So my partner has always wanted a beardie, I wasnt keen at first but I decided to read up on them and the more I did the more I found myself wanting one to. So with both of us in agreement we started to do in depth research to see what we would be getting into and what the bd requires for a happy life. I must say I was shocked to find out their life span is so long if looked after. When we've had questions this site has been really useful and so we decided we were ready :lol:
We looked at our living room and saw if we rearranged some stuff we had room for a 5ft viv. :P
So with that in mind we started looking at material to build one along with stand to put it on. As I do DIY aound house we had some spare pallets and mdf lying around so I decided to build stand to fit in with othe furniture. Below are the pics, Ive just got to make doors/put them on.

The one section will be home to live food, middle to house any accessories and the 3 bake ware lol. After costing up the wood, runners, glass, vents, extra stain and varnish for viv it was coming in at only £20 cheaper to have it made so I've sent my sketch to viv maker not far from me and should have it within 2 weeks. I've included my little sketch.

Ive bought the Arcadia 54w T5 single unit starter unit and getting the T5 D3 plus 54w tube from EssexReptiles as its cheapest along with discount from here that I've found (cheers Dan). Got 3 thermometres on way. Have a huge piece of brranch taken from park, its drying out at mo then going to strip bark, sand then soak in bath in some milton and hot water every few days as too big for oven. Already picked up fake plants (no cactus rick) for £2 from Dunn Elm. Have some bleached wood scrub bush aswell. Already sourced some slabs for flooring and have a facebook hunt on forr polystyrene as I'm going to be building my background and structures as have tile grout lying around. Just scouring ebay/classified ads forr dimming habistat. Ceramic light bulb holders on order. Just looking into live food at mo. As for vet, theres one a few mins down road that deals with reptiles so that sorted to.
Sorry for essay, but we're super excited!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

You built that??...and your a girl??...or did your partner build it???....if it was you wow , its lovely well done

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:18 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Looks amazing :)

And its great your getting a 5ft viv! I wish I had the room for one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Also whos the viv maker your using? Is it Volly?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:06 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

(no cactus rick)

Good to see at least one person pays attention round here :lol:
Tip for your viv build if you're not to far down the line buying goodies. This is the lighting/heating system I use as do a number of us over in Aus.

These are normal 240 volt GU10 lights using dimmable spots. I only need one of the lights on to heat a 5ft enclosure although it's a double fitting. Spots have been running over a year now without any blowing so it's prety economical.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:24 pm 
EGG
EGG

SpikeandLizzy wrote:You built that??...and your a girl??...or did your partner build it???....if it was you wow , its lovely well done

Cheeky! Yes I am a girl, so is my partner. I enjoy making things :D thanks for compliment tho!

Dan, its a guy call Rob, lives in coventry, some of his 4ft vivs are on ebay. He does stands aswell. For 5ft long viv, 2ft high, 50cm deep viv in walnut, with holes routed out to fit thermometres in flush in front panel its costing £105. I know people have built theirs and I did contemplate it, but like I said, adding up all mats it was only £20 cheaper so thought I'd just pay extra and use time finishing off stand.

Rick, we use those spots in ourr kitchen. The bulb holders I've orderd have heat rresistant cable and plug on them, how would I install spotlight like in pic, would I need and electrician?

Cheers for replies people:-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:36 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I tend to do all my own electrics (something you learn fast with reptiles) this was a little complex in that I rebuilt what was originally a four light mount. Cut it down and rerouted the wiring along the tube and out the back of the viv. It's probably easier to get a single surface mount unit like this http://lighting-store.com.au/lightshop/ ... cts_id=268 and then run heatproof wiring from that to the outside of the viv. Not a big job if you feel confident about handling it and it is something that you could possibly discuss with the guy building your viv if you're not sure. I've converted all my enclosures to this system as the heat and light provided are better that I was getting with standard spots.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:54 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Keeley&Donna wrote:
SpikeandLizzy wrote:You built that??...and your a girl??...or did your partner build it???....if it was you wow , its lovely well done

Cheeky! Yes I am a girl, so is my partner. I enjoy making things :D thanks for compliment tho!

Sorry iam one of those that are still stuck in the `old fashion` ways, men build women clean lol

No offense meant in that i just didnt know how to word it properly, i wish i could do stuff like that....i dont even know how to use a drill :( So extra cudos for being a girl and knowing how to build lol :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:52 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Looking good :D

Danny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:38 pm 
EGG
EGG

:lol: I clean aswell, im multi talented and fanx for kudos:-) and cheers Danny.

Rick, loved your spot light idea so got on it and now have gu10 light fitting and comes with a bulb (£6) it even tells you if your going to be plugging it into socket what amp to use in plug. It was here when I got home along with my arcadia controller. Also picked up habistat dimmer from house not far from mine for £25 :-)

The thermometers came the other day, 2 are normal digital ones,the 3rd is digital thermometer and hygrometer, they should be with my viv guy tomo, his wood was due today aswell. So he said he'll call when themometers tun up to double check measurements and stuff then crack on and build. :lol: We're soooo excited aaaaaand my workmate just bought a massshussive mirror and 2 lovely chunky polystyrene sheets were protecting it so she gave them to me :-)

Hopefully next pic update will be when we get viv:-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 pm 
EGG
EGG

Sooooo tonight we picked up the viv and we love it!! Was a bit cramped in car on way back but worth it. Rob, the viv builder was great, showed us how to take glass out and put it back in safely, added handles, helped us get it in car, told me if to ring him if I had more questions. Well here it is... :D

So a refresh of size, 5ft wide, 2ft high and 50cm deep in walnut with thermometers inbedded into bottom panel with 4mm toughened safety glass all for £105!

(The glass doors are safely under our bed at mo)

:D
Let the polystyrene rock building commence!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:25 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Looks brilliant :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:19 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Have you run the lighting system yet? The earlier to do the sooner you can sort out any problems with getting the gradient right.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:54 am 
EGG
EGG

Thanks Dragonet, we're pleased with it, just needs sealing in corners.

Hi Rick, nope not yet, will install lights with next few days along with building scenery. We're not getting the dragon til end of september because we're going on holiday end of august. So I've got plenty of time to work on heating,lighting and temps. I only put decor in there to see what space there was :D

Sitting on sofa and bean bag we can still see into viv which we like, we're glad we moved the furniture around. Also as viv on same wall as tv we dont need to worry about tv lights keeping dragon awake of an evening :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:11 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Lighting/heating is always the hardest part so do take your time and don't hesitate to ask for help along the way.

Rick