mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:42 pm 
EGG
EGG

hello.

before i start i just want to say sorry if this has been posted up already.

I bought my bearded dragon (tison) around 6 weeks ago so he/she is still a baby.

In that time i have tried to get his/her trust by leaving my hand in the viv for atleast 15 mins a day and hand feeding tison crickets,locusts and veggies (which now he can happily eat them) and i even left a piece of clothing in his viv so tison would get used to my scent (he tried to eat the item of clothing so i took it out). It has worked to a certain extent tison will quite happily sit there and let me stoke his head and back but the problem is when i try to handle him. I can get him to sit on my hand happily but only if i lure him onto my hand with the cricket tub, even then the longest he has stayed on my hand was something like 10 mins that is when my hand is in the viv have not taken him out the viv yet because i am worried he would panic and hop off my hand and goes for a wonder lol, but when i try and scoop him up he runs off to another part of the viv when he does that i usually leave him be.

Im well aware it takes time to earn his/her trust i just want to see if i am doing everything right :D

please if someone can help me out or tell me im doing something wrong it would be much appreicated

picture off tison bellow :D

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 176.21 KiB | Viewed 7407 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:07 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Nothing wrong with what you're doing - some guys just take longer to settle than others. Be patient and he will settle down. :D

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Make sure you scoop him up from underneath, and don't put your hand over him. Young beardies are pre-programmed to be frightened off birds as birds are one of their main predators.

Yound beardies are always skittish - when you do hold him make sure you're careful of any sudden movement - they seemingly have no fear of heights and can leap off your shoulder onto the floor in an instant.

As they get older and bigger they naturally calm down and become much tamer and easier to handle.

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:14 am 
EGG
EGG

Yeh I have been scooping him up or at least been trying to most the time he runs away, until I get the cricket tub out to lure him onto my hand then he would quite happily sit on my hand. :D

do you recon i should keep handling him in the viv before i start to taking him out the viv??

Thank you for the advise so far :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:43 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Yes - get him used to you in there first. You don't want to be chasing him all over the floor.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 pm 
EGG
EGG

I am pleased to annouce my beardy has started to settle down now when i go to put my hand in the viv he does not run away so making good progress :) and he stays on my hand for a good 5-10 mins every night :) AND he has stopped biteing my finger when i go to feed him locusts/crickets.

I have read when your beardy is shedding you should put him/her in the bath tub to help with the shedding of the skin, so what should i do instead as i need to gain his trust more before i start taking him out the viv?? I've added water to his salad/veggie tray and he has fresh water in a tray everyday.

any more ideas or advice on this matter??

Attachments:
File comment: before anyone says im not gripping onto him tight im gently holding him :)
006.jpg
006.jpg [ 151.78 KiB | Viewed 7336 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:59 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Shedding is perfectly natural and normally needs no assistance. As long as he's got something to rub himself on there's nothing else you need do. Bathing or misting are only suggested if he's having problems shedding. Check this for more on water. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1372

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:51 pm 
EGG
EGG

okay so my beardie has been acting a little strange lately he has become shy/timid he used to happily sit on my hand (in the vivvy still he was starting to calm down until this happened) but now he wont go on my hand but he will quite happily sit on his branch and let me stroke his head (he closes his eyes while i am stroking him i guess this means he is nice and relaxed??).
would this be down to the change off the season and the fact he is starting to brumate??

any info if i have got my vivvy abit to crammed??
(sorry for rubbish quality i am not sure how to use the panorama on my phone properly lol)

111.jpg
111.jpg [ 194.88 KiB | Viewed 7277 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:53 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Floor area does look a bit cramped - he does need to be able to move around fairly freely. Weather/season changes will show up in his attitude so I wouldn't be too concerned here.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:42 pm 
EGG
EGG

my beardie has started to let me hold him now i start to stroke his head to calm him down (until he closes his eyes) then i attempt to pick him up he raises his chest up ready for me to gently pick him up :lol:

but the only thing now is he does not stay on my hand for long so should i just keep holding him and increase the time of holding him???

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:17 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Yes - keep on handling him gently and he'll improve. They also get more lazy as they get older which also helps.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:48 pm 
EGG
EGG

hello.

I just want to thank everyone who as posted a comment and gave me some advice. :D

my beardie is alot calmer now he does not run away when i try and pick him up, he enjoys his weekly bath aswell as being let out the vivarium every other day even though he falls asleep on my lap after a run around that is lol