mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom viv help
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:37 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

I have sourced a new 'box' to replace the off the shelf 4ft x 1.5ft vivarium that I got for BD nearly 2 years ago. It's a solid built cabinet which I only need to source a couple of bits of mdf, runners and glass for. The dimensions are 160cm length, 60cm deep and 90cm high. The height is a bit more than I wanted but Jess loves climbing, so not overly concerned. What I really need is some help with landscaping and materials. I want to create contours, rocky type floor and I've read that expanding foam painted with some durable sandy paint would work. I will be using logs and rocks to create height under basking lamp and other things to climb around
Any help, photos or ideas would be appreciated

Post subject: Re: Custom viv help
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:21 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I use polystyrene blocks roughly cut to shape, then quickly brushed over with a gas torch to slightly melt and shape properly. Once that's done I coat in PVA glue and sprinkle sand on it, once dry another coat of PVA and a little bit of work with some spray cans of earth colours and it's done.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:25 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

About to start this soon, and next question is on the UV strip light. With the viv being 160 long and 90cm high, I am wondering whether the max length of 120cm 12% UVB light is long enough? Also wondering about height that this will be fitted. I will be landscaping her basking area quite high under a heat lamp so should I be considering a different set up? The strip will be set around 80 cm from base so this will be max distance that she will be at from light. Any thoughts anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:42 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

You only need to cover around 2/3rds of the length with the UV so 1200 mm is OK. As to height depending on the UV you use basking needs to be within 10 ~ 15 " of the light for it to be effective. So you'll need to take this into consideration when setting its position.

Rick