mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:51 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi, I recently put a deposit on a beardie and built my own vivarium and got the equipment, I'm using a 100w household bulb as the basking light and a Komodo ceramic bulb as backup for nighttime, but i can't seem to keep the cool end cool enough, the cool end is hovering around 30.5 degrees Celsius and the basking rock is around 38. i think that warm temperature is about right but i need to try and get the cool end cooler, any ideas? I want to get it all set up right before i go and pick up little Travis (who is currently 5 Months old by the way, if that helps) Thankyou

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:13 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

OK first thing - temps should be around 39~42C basking spot and cool side mid 20's with overnight temps dropping to around 16C, this effectively means that you shouldn't need any overnight heat as most homes seem to settle at this temp at night time. Assuming you're using a 4ft enclosure then usually a 75 watt spotlight will do the trick and it's all based on positioning the sender for the thermostat (which is hopefully a dimming stat). Putting the sender around 10 cm from the cool end wall and setting the stat to around 26C should then give a basking temp near what you need, all you do then is raise (or lower) the spot until you've achieved the required temp. Remember to take the actual temp at about his head hight or actually on the highest point of the basking area.
Hope this helps.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:47 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi rick, thanks for that help, i've now reverted back to just using the cermamic bulb as my thermostat is a pulse one.. and i dont really want to fork out money for dimming stat if i can get this method to work.. i've set the temp to 26 in the place you said, so i will check tomorrow what the temps are saying. But just can't seem to achieve a temperature gradient, it just seems to heat the whole box up equally with the household bulb, no matter how much ventilation i have in the cool end

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:05 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

How big is the viv? In a 4ft set up a 75 watt spotlight should be all you need. Try ditching the ceramic and just running the spot without the thermostat and see what happens.
A photo of the viv may help me.

Rick