mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:11 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

It's been a while since I've posted about Mojo, and that's mostly because things have been going very smooth! So much so that i decided to take the leap and get him a new vivarium and im almost slightly regretting it!

He needed the more space because he is now a fully sized adult, so this is a 4ft one but he is now being very narky (going to bite me when i touch him) puffing his beard often and not really basking. He is also not eating as well as he should. I tried to give him his log from his old viv and his old slab to keep his nails short and so that there was an element of familiarity

In pictures he sits under the lower shelf that you see, hiding away from everything and going to sleep through the day.

Ive included pictures to let you guys decide if the set up is right, i was recommended two UV bulbs for it back and front although my last one only had one at the front!

any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:24 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi - something is disturbing him (unless he's only been in there a few days). I'd guess that it's the additional UV and that he's looking for a bit of shade from it at times. Try disconnecting the back UV then give him a few days to settle again. By the way, I'm not a fan of those wood chips, seen to many deaths from getting one stuck in the gut after accidentally ingestingone when hunting crix/roaches, otherwise all looks good. Had him checked for intestinal parasites? They will cause mood changes.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:59 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Rick wrote:Hi - something is disturbing him (unless he's only been in there a few days). I'd guess that it's the additional UV and that he's looking for a bit of shade from it at times. Try disconnecting the back UV then give him a few days to settle again. By the way, I'm not a fan of those wood chips, seen to many deaths from getting one stuck in the gut after accidentally ingestingone when hunting crix/roaches, otherwise all looks good. Had him checked for intestinal parasites? They will cause mood changes.

Rick

Thanks for the reply.

Well, he has been in their since last Saturday, and almost just to make me out to be a lier, he perked up yesterday (at least for a few hours). One thing i will ask though, is that he seems to be trying to bask on the highest shelf, which obviously isn't where the heat is coming from! Would i be taking away from his natural way of being by keeping on moving him into the correct place to bask? I know he is definitely trying to bask because he flattens out and his tummy goes all round.

Bloody pet store said that I should stop using sand and move on to wood chips as its not as dusty for him. I'll get right on to changing that back to sand.

I have not actually but he just doesn't really seem to be doing big poo's recently.. almost not enough to be sending away.. or is it ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:04 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Haven't you learn't yet - pet shops generally are the most ignorant places around when it comes to the animals they sell!!! :lol:
Moving him from where he wants to bask probably won't do any good as I'm guessing that the shelf is (to him) the brightest basking spot and with dragons bright = heat (not really very smart) so try switching that UV off and see where he goes then and even a small poo can be tested so it's probably worth getting checked.

Rick