mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:36 pm 
EGG
EGG

So when we bought Spike we were misinformed and he is currently in a 3ft tank which is obviously getting too small for him now and with his in mind I am debating whether to just buy a bigger set up or get hubby to make him one. Are there any do's or dont's with regard to height or size? Would also like some advise on size/location/type of UV light and heating. We already have a dimmable thermostat but is it worth investing in a day/night one or any other fancy equipment? Finally any must have's you can think of if you were starting from scratch so to speak? Thanks in advance for any help!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:20 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

It's pretty straight forward really. Minimum size should be approx. 1200 mm x 600 mm x 600 mm - doesn't need to be any higher but length and width can be as large as you like. Equipment just needs to be spotlight for heat, dimming stat (no need for day/night stat) UV strip light about 2/3rds the length of the viv plus the usual furnishings and substrate. Pretty simple really!
If building your own then see that all joins are sealed with silicone so that if you ever get mites the eggs can't get lodged in the crevices, other than that it's pretty simple.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:58 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I'm actually building one at the moment using an old TV cabinet http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TV-Cabinet-/ ... true&rt=nc Basically all I've had to do is remove the doors, insert a floor midway up and I've got 2 1200 mm vivs. Fitted wheels under the drawers, air vents side and back, painted and sealed the interior with a satin white then a non-toxic clear varnish, installed the electrics with a total cost so far of under $100.00 The glass will be costly as it's 5 mm glass plus of course the runners - probably another $100.00. So a couple of weeks work and around $200.00 outlay and I have 2 good mobile enclosures.

Rick