mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: temperature advice
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:56 pm 
EGG
EGG

After reading many of other peoples posts im now unsure im heating my vivarium correctly. I have a 3ft tank at the moment, I will be upgrading soon as I now know its not big enough. At the moment I have a uv lamp at the top across the back which is on all day and of at night. I also have a 60w r60 lamp at one end. The temps are around 42 at the basking end but is close to 30 at the cool end. I normaly leave the heat lamp on all the time but after reading I think im doing it wrong. There is aloso a small heat mat which I used last winter. Dave is around 2 years old. He comes out most days eats his veg (from his bowl and by hand) always eats crickets, locusts and meal/wax worms as treats. He is active during and is always asleep when I get up in the morning.
Should I change what im doing.

Post subject: Re: temperature advice
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:33 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Like us they do need to cool down over-night, so unless your house gets much colder than 16C you should be turning everything off over-night.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:07 am 
EGG
EGG

Ok thank you. I'll turn them of from now on. Would you leave the heat mat on at all. The house never gets that cold the heating kicks in before it dose.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:22 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I wouldn't even be using a heat mat. Basically you need to provide a basking spot at around 39~42C (best controlled by a dimming stat) with a cool end mid 20's or slightly higher. Have the heat provided by a 60 or 75 watt spotlight (RO 80) and switched on and off with a timer, you can also use it for the UV. No other heat source needed, during winter 10 ~ 12 hours of light/heat and in summer 12 ~ 14 hours. All off at night allowing everything to drop to around 16C +/- , it does get very cold at times in the outback and heating at night really isn't needed.

Hope this helps.

Rick