mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:43 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

left it on 5hrs and only got temp up to 34c in basking area have thrown that bulb and have bought a 200w one will try that, with spot light it used to flicker now it stays on but says pulse on thermostat control but with spotlight in does not flicker so going to try it with spotlight now thing is buld boes not feel warm still and when i turn temp down buld boes not dim not turn off tank is now at 24c

would the wrong fuse in the plug limit the power going thro to my heat lamp as 60w spot or a 75w CERAMIC HEAT BULB are both not getting that warm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:37 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

It sounds as if you've got a problem with the thermostat. Before you go buying anything else you need to isolate where the problem is.
To test it all quickly, put a spotlight in the ES fitting unplug the light from the thermostat and plug it straight in to the mains power thus taking the thermostat out of the circuit. Light will come on full and should heat up quickly. If this happens then there's something wrong with the thermostat, maybe it's stuck on night time operation? Check the instructions for setting the thermostat up and if you've got it all correct and when you plug it back in to the circuit the bulb still doesn'tlight/heat up properly then you'll need to replace the thermostat.
If this is confusing let me know and I'll try talking you through it step by step on Skype (if you've got it) Facebook or pm.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:49 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

have msn yorkmale71@hotmail.com on facebook as well
ok have tried in another plug still does not get that warm would say same as when was thermostat that was the 60w spot and the 75w c/bulb i can get the cool end spot on but the basking not a chance in hell highest is 34c and thats with probe almost touching bulb,the viv has 6 air vents do you think this could be a problem 3 at the top 3 at the bottom,think will cover 3 at the top as heat rises but bulb still not getting that hot.......................................

i have taped up the 3 vents at the top and 1 at the bottom under basking area left 2 cool end will see if this changes out thinks its the cheap crappy bulb will show you link to bulb i bough
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75W-75-WATT-C ... 256ff7acf2

the thermostat i have on viv is same as this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HABISTAT-PULS ... 3a75f498e6

in the cool area 24.3c warmest area 34.5c have 2 temps 1 at top of a rock almost under c/bulb where dragon might lay sit,other is on a large stone ground level also under c/bulb thats reading 28.7c,
i have just bought a 200w c/bulb that must make it warmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:47 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

OK I'll look for you on facebook. You should actually be able to burn yourself badly on one of those CHE's within a minute of switching it on.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:25 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

www.facebook.com/FLASH7111

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:32 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

ok now i have got a temp of 39.7c but its been on 7hrs now cool end now 24c,i think its cos i have bought a cheap bulb cheap and crap think should have bought a decent make

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:54 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Bloody Facebook timeline just doesn't want to help me at all!!! It doesn't matter how good (or bad) the CHE is it should still heat up enough to burn you. You need to disconnect the thermostat from the viv totally, then plug the lead coming directly from the ES holder into your mains socket. Try this with a spotlight in and after a minute or so try the surface of the spotlight - it should be hot enough to burn you. If that's the case then the thermostat is bad. If running the light directly from the mains doesn't heat it up then I don't know where you go :?

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:20 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

DRAGONBACK wrote:have msn yorkmale71@hotmail.com on facebook as well
ok have tried in another plug still does not get that warm would say same as when was IN thermostat that was the 60w spot and the 75w c/bulb i can get the cool end spot on but the basking not a chance in hell highest is 34c and thats with probe almost touching bulb,the viv has 6 air vents do you think this could be a problem 3 at the top 3 at the bottom,think will cover 3 at the top as heat rises but bulb still not getting that hot.......................................

i have taped up the 3 vents at the top and 1 at the bottom under basking area left 2 cool end will see if this changes out thinks its the cheap crappy bulb will show you link to bulb i bough
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75W-75-WATT-C ... 256ff7acf2

the thermostat i have on viv is same as this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HABISTAT-PULS ... 3a75f498e6

in the cool area 24.3c warmest area 34.5c have 2 temps 1 at top of a rock almost under c/bulb where dragon might lay sit,other is on a large stone ground level also under c/bulb thats reading 28.7c,
i have just bought a 200w c/bulb that must make it warmer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:26 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

i think its the bulb i thing seller of the bulb has sold it as a 75w but really its only a 20w going to buy a decent 200w c/bulb like i should have done to start with it does get warm as would burn to touch but taking hrs for viv to get warm and stay warm,was on 12hrs and still only got it to 38.9 but thats with bulb on all the time thought would get to the temp and turn off probe is at cool end at thats only reading 22.5c,have turned it all off now in 10mins its dropped to basking 28.5c cool end 21.3c

Last edited by DRAGONBACK on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:29 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Yes, well if the bulb is only 20 watt then you've no hope. However the CHE's only come in 60 watt and higher so that should get burning hot in 1~2 minutes and bring your viv to temp within 2 hours. What value is the thermostat set at?

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:33 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

bulb says 75w on it,2hrs not a chance would it make a difference with items in viv as have some large rocks

What value is the thermostat set at?.......... set it to 30 as wanted to get temp up at basking area without probe almost touching c/bulb,where dragon would sit its only 33.5c

Last edited by DRAGONBACK on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:36 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Can you actually touch the bulb with your bare hands?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:37 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

yes i can thats if its in thermostat or in mains away from thermostat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:40 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

DRAGONBACK wrote:bulb says 75w on it,2hrs not a chance would it make a difference with items in viv as have some large rocks

What value is the thermostat set at?.......... set it to 30 as wanted to get temp up at basking area without probe almost touching c/bulb,where dragon would sit its only 33.5c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:42 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

OK - keeping it plugged into the mains only have you a normal spotlight you can screw in to the socket? If you have, try that and see what happens. A 60 watt spotlight direct in the mains should heat a 4ft viv quite adequately whatever you have as decorations in it. It's sounding like the CHE is bad, 60, 75, or 100 watt spotlights are really the best units to use and you can also see if they're not working pretty quickly.

Rick

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next