mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Arcadia T5 12% Lighting
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:37 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

After a few discussions with my vet, other owners and some general research including contact with Frances Baines via a friend it would seem that there are two options when using these lights due to the intensity of the UV. As they produce levels near normal daylight you are effectively exposing your dragon to a constant high level of UV which can cause problems over a longer term (current research is indicating that as well as a heat gradient they do need a photo gradient). This however is easily catered for in a number of different ways.
Simplest is to fit a tube covering no more than 1/3 ~ 1/2 of the viv with the tube providing most of its light at the basking spot. This way you can allow basking distances as close as 25 cm without any risks of overdosing (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUu24MNO2Ho ) and your beardie can go from shade to light as required.
With a full length tube it is suggested that the minimum distance to basking spots be 30 cm if you don't limit the time spent under the light. Local research does indicate that beardies will sunbathe in the open up until near midday and then re-appear from 3.00 pm onwards for more sunning (it has been suggested elsewhere that they disappear by 9.30 am) . So instead of changing lighting set ups his allows you to limit the time spent under the light to around 5 hours with a simple timer. An alternative is to blank off one end of the tube with fly wire mesh or even a sheet of glass (UV does not pass through glass).
This doesn't mean you have to panic about using these lights, just be aware that there may be some additional risks if they sit too close for too long.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:18 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, sorry if I am.
I have just built my 4ft viv for my newly rehomed beardie. It was recommended to buy the T5 UV Starter Kit 34in (39watt) D3 REPTILE 12%

Is this okay to use, following the instructions above?

Many thanks
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:46 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Yes as it is not as long as the viv :D I like a few others have a Arcadia T5 + 12%UVA/UVB + D3 Luminaire and its all cased in and goes on the underside of the front above where the doors are so they don't glare. I bought a full size with 58w controller :) I panicked when I read this. So I positioned it cross ways on the ceiling :D My Therru is hardly ever still is mostly out of his viv and he basks after eating but has a tunnel to move under and does and has rocks to hide behind also a bamboo Gym and he is fine and healthy . The one I have is said to be the bad one ; but as I say a few of us have them and our Beardies love them, so only you can choose. If you get a 36 length for a 48 viv there is no problem there with the T5 12% D3 Arcadia strip light its the best. Its informed choice . :)

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish