It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hatchlings
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:51 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi

Where does the time go?

Yesterday 3 of my eggs hatched at only 58 days! Today I have 7 running around in the hastily put together nursery.

I was not expecting them yet and do not have proper set ups for them, but that should all be resolved by Tuesday.

I have some of them drinking water from a dropper, but found it easier to just let them soak in a tub of water for a few minutes.

I put a few pinheads in with them and some have 'vanished' or are hiding. How on earth are you supposed to catch them if they have not been eaten? I found one but all I could do was squish it.

Babies are all bedded down for the night with no lights on. Is this ok for them? I don't want them to get too cold.

Its a wonderful journey from surprise eggs, to baby beardies.

Marie x

Post subject: Re: Hatchlings
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:03 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

They probably won't eat pinheads - we're three weeks in with out hatchlings and they start on crix of approx 3~4mm in size. Don't over water and don't expect feeding to start for 2~4 days as they are still living on the egg sac. Squashing is really the only way to go.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:14 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi Rick

Thank you once again for the information. It's another learning curve with the babies, it doesn't matter how much research you do there are still so many things you don't know.

I'm amazed to find how good at playing dead they are, been fooled quite a few times

Happy New Year

Marie x

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:33 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

For the first few hours after they hatch they're usually pretty exhausted and just sit on the floor very "flat". After that they should liven up. All I have in our enclosures are a basking rock (sandstone), something to hide behind (not under) and a nice branch near the basking/UV area that they can climb. No substrate or anything else. As you see them start eating a little blob of face paint or similar on the tail so you can see if you've got any problem eaters. Temps same as adults 39~42C basking mid 20's cool side.

Rick