mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 pm 
EGG
EGG

i have 2 bearded dragons we was told they was 5 month old wen we got them in june but i think are female is pregnant she has lumps in her belly that feel like marbles and keeps diggin any info would be great

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Certainly sounds like she is gravid. She is very young to lay eggs, so watch her carefully. You need to put a lay box in the viv - A deep tray full of damp sand will do. I started off a tunnel with my hand to give my female the idea where to go. If she seems in distress and no eggs appear you will need to take her to a vet. Depending on her size she might not be big enough to lay eggs naturally, and might need an operation.

If she lays the eggs you will need to decide what to do. You might get 20 or more eggs, and then she'll have another clutch in 3 to 4 weeks. If you incubate these then you will need to have prepared a viv for each 5 babies - and that's very expensive. If you don't want to incubate them you could freeze them immediately they are laid - this is the kindest way of stopping the embryo from starting to develop. You could freeze the majority, and just keep 5, then you'll have the fun of raising them, but will only have to buy one more set up. You will have a lot to do even raising a few with feeding and cleaning out, and you will need to make sure you can find homes for them all.

If she is gravid then if you keep both beardies together the likelihood is she'll keep getting gravid, and this will damage her health. The best advice is to separate them before any more matings.

The links below will give you more information.

http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk/bdfor ... f=9&t=2506

http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk/bdfor ... f=9&t=5467

http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk/breeding.html

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:13 pm 
EGG
EGG

thanks for the advice but i was out all day today and wen we got back she was lookin all skinny and we found twelve eggs is it possible to only have twelve we not sure about the age of them how can you tell thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As it's her first clutch it could be a small one, or she might still have eggs to lay. If you're going to move them to an incubator then make sure you carry leave in exactly the same orientation as they were laid otherwise the embryo inside will die.

Good luck!

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:31 pm 
EGG
EGG

our female dragon has just laid twelve eggs we have been told to keep the soil moist for the eggs but not get the eggs wet how do we do that any info would be great thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You need to put the eggs on vermiculite in cricket tubs, and then put these in an incubator with very high humidity. Soil has too much bacteria in it which will harm the eggs.

What kind of incubator are you using?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:20 pm 
EGG
EGG

we have lost the eggs we didnt no that soil was wrong we found out today she only eight month old we was told by the pet shop that our vivarium should be on 110f but got told today that it only needs to be on 80-90f and if you could tell us do we need a heat mat on all nite or not please we keep gettin told different things and dont no wot to believe thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:10 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

OK - first rule of pet shops (in general) is to ignore their advice. Going on from there, you need to have a basking spot at around 39~42C with a heat gradient dropping to around 28C at the cool side. The best way to achieve this is to use a standard household spotlight linked to a dimming thermostat. Overnight your temps can drop to 16C quite safely so no need for a heat mat. If you haven't already then you need to read the two stickies at the top of the Breeding section so that you're aware of the costs, problems etc. involved in breeding. Having mated at least once your female will almost certainly produce another couple of clutches over the next two months and my personal advice would be to freeze the eggs as they're laid - the expenses involved in breeding are very high for little if no return. All the advice you will get here is based on personal knowledge not book taught or second and third hand advice.
Hope this helps, if you've any more queries please just ask.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:23 pm 
EGG
EGG

thats for you advice its really helped just a couple more things to ask so with no heat all nite will they be ok over nite with no heat? wen there cold and stiff and the other thing is wen she has another clutch wots the chance of them livin or is there not?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:42 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Dragons are happy with tempos dropping to 16C overnight so as long as your house doesn't drop below this then you don't need heating. As for survival of the eggs - do you intend incubating/raising her clutches with all the expense etc. that goes with this exercise? Or is this just a theoretical question.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:14 pm 
EGG
EGG

we are plannin on keepin any babies she has and thanks for the advice very gratful but we got her next clutch would die too cus she too young?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:41 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

There's no reason her next clutch wouldn't be viable but you do need to read the posts describing breeding etc. at the top of this section of the forum. It's not simple nor is it cheap. If however you need more assistance after you've read them do ask.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:06 pm 
EGG
EGG

hi can too much calcium give my dragons the runs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:48 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Not that I'm aware. Overdosing on veg will do it as will intestinal parasites, so a fecal float won't go astray.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:43 pm 
EGG
EGG

can you give us a rough list of wot they can and cant eat please wots best for them thanks