mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:32 pm 
EGG
EGG

My dragon is about 3 years old, I have had him for about 18 months. I have been contemplating for a while on whether to get him a play mate. My friend is looking at getting rid of his as he hasn't the time to look after her. She is around 18 months old. I am just asking for some advice as I am not a professional dragon keeper or anything like that, I just enjoy having him as a pet. My tank is big enough for 2 dragons so I am not worried about that.

Basically all I want to know is if there is anything I need to know/ look out for/ change in the tank before introducing her etc. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This picture is about 2 months old.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:19 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

There's a very simple answer here.

Don't do it.

They are solitary animals normally and don't need playmates/companions. Unless you've got around 10+ sq ft of floor area in your tank it isn't big enough. A male and female together will have only one ending - constant breeding with the probability of the female eventually dying through exhaustion. A single mating can produce 5 clutches of eggs totally 130+ eggs and unless you're a multimillionaire it is impossible to raise this number of babies and as you can't even give away normal colour babies you will end up stuck with them.

I know I sound harsh and this isn't a shot at you but I've seem way too many problems arise with well meaning owners getting a second dragon and so I just have to point out the results as emphatically as I can.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:47 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Agreed!! if u want 2 lizards u need two tanks etc etc have a read on breeding lizards on www.hadesdragons.co.uk

Danny