mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: new baby beardies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:56 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Hi there we have just bred our bearded dragons for the first time. We kept 7 eggs to incubate as we understand it would be unwise to keep more together once hatched and do not have space or money for lots of seperate tanks. Anyway we have successfully incubated them and now on day 60 the first 2 have hatched. I have put box (icecream tub) that they were incubated into tank and first 2 have hopped out and exploring the big wide world quite happily. 2 others are beginning to break out of eggs and others are still fully formed eggs. My question is what to do this evening. Shell i put remaining eggs back into incubator for the evening when i switch off tank lights? Or shell i leave them in tank? Or should i leave lights on for the night until all hatched? Food arriving tomorrow so hoping they will be ok after eating egg sac for a day. Any advice appreciated and any other tips. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: new baby beardies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:17 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

I have now put tub back into incubator as don't think they are going to move much more tonight. They were warm enough in tank but will incubate more over night then i am safe to turn lights off in a bit. Little ones seem healthy and strong, so chuffed! Would still appreciate any tips on rearing the little ones from anyone experienced. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:59 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Ahhh just read how i should keep babies in incubator for a couple more days. But they are so active! Shell i do this for the night? Do i put them in with remaining eggs or seperate box? Is it because they need further heat? They have been heated in tank for most part of today, now worried whether ok to leave them there. Please reply! (ps please don't tell me should have done research i thought i had, but still learning!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:59 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Keep the eggs in the incubator and don't remove for any reason but leave the babies in the viv., I've always moved the babies into the viv as soon as they're moving around. Reset the overnight temps to run at around 23C but using a ceramic heater not a light and start offering crix at approx. 2~3 mm in length plus of course finely chopped veg.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:04 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Thankyou very much for your reply. I haven't got a ceramic heater at the moment. I have got a heatmat, which i don't use at the moment. The babies are in a glass tank and i thought for now i could put the heatmat underneath it and set the thermostat to 23. It may not even need to come on as quite warm here at the moment. What do you think? They were just left without added heat last night and all seem fine. We now have 5 healthy babies running around and 2 more still in incubator starting to emerge from eggs. I put in some little micro crickets today, Don't think they have really eaten any, they went a bit silly at the refection of them instead of chasing them! Shell i just keep putting some in and hope they will find them eventually. They are too tiny to try and hand feed. Really enjoying this and kids are loving it, so exciting! i will post some pics later. Carol. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:08 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Heat mat UNDER the tank at 23C will be OK. Micro crickets? possibly what we call pin heads. If so they're to small you do need to feed 2~3 mm size. They probably won't feed for the first couple of days as the egg sac will still be being absorbed but after that they should start in. Don't leave crix in overnight as they can actually eat the soft parts of the babies, so either take any out or squash them if you can't catch them. Leave a bit of fresh veg in as well the crix will go for that if you miss any.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:10 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Yeah Micro are the same as Pin Heads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:32 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

My guys never even look at that size but offer the next up and they used to go mad :lol:

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:22 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Thanks for your help. They are a week old now and eating loads! next order will be the next size up i think even though the micro ones i have are about 2mm. They go absolutely mad for them. I'm feeding them 3 times a day they prob eat at least 100 a time between them. Does that sound about right? They haven't really eaten any veg yet that i have noticed. They are getting very used to hands, before each feed myself or the kids hold them in the tank for a few seconds they have now taken to jumping onto hands sometimes, i think they have learnt food is coming lol! They all seem well anyhow so chuffed to bits.
I have a couple of homes lined up already but when do you think i should put them up for sale i was thinking a month or so or is that too early? Carol :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:49 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

8 weeks is the minimum as they need to build up some reserves before they get moved. The disturbance puts them off eating and it's a risk to move them any earlier.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:51 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

OK thanks, kids will be pleased they want to keep them for as long as possible, but i will put up for sale at 2 months, they are expensive to feed they are so hungry, not eating much if any veg though!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:21 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Put the veg in at least 1 1/2 hours before feeding live - if they're hungry they'll soon learn to like it!

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:11 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

yep, followed your advice and they are getting a taste for it now, pulling leaves out of each others mouths, very amusing! Thanks again! :lol: