mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dont agree with it
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:12 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

I'm sorry to say but i seriously disagree with breeding any animal what so ever, there are thousands of animals in rescue centers all across the world including bearded dragons and i other types of reptiles.

i volunteer at a wild animal and reptile sanctuary, and with in the last week we have had 7 adult bearded dragons come in that have been abused or just are not wanted any more, there are to many animals out there to be making more, thats why i refuse to buy a baby dragon from a shop or from someone who breeds them, i prefer to adopt or buy an ''adult'' that has not got a suitable home and try to help improve the rest of their lives.

i hope the rest of you think the same way as i do, because not only does breeding dragons stress them out and drastically reduce their life cycle, it creates more unwanted animals to be chucked into a rescue center because they became harder to look after than the owner expected

Please think about what you are doing next time you breed an animal, be it a frog or a horse, they are everywhere.

Post subject: Re: Dont agree with it
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:09 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I agree in principal with what you say, however I do breed dragons on a limited basis as you will see from various of my posts. What you need to know is that here we are required to be licensed to own native fauna of any sort and that also applies to any retail outlet selling them. This does limit people as records must be maintained and licenses renewed yearly with surprise inspections of private and commercial premises and records allowed.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:00 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

I completly agree.

What gets my goat are those that do it for `The Experience`.What is there to experience??Are you the one getting mated and giving birth? No.So really alll your experiencing is having a baby dragon which you could buy!

I think the problem is they do it thinking they are going to make money out of it, no matter how much they get told otherwise.

I also feel this way about dogs,cats everything!Both my animals were castrated as soon as they could be,and my dragons do not get the chance to mate and if they happened to by some miracle,then i would freeze the eggs and bin them.May seem cruel to some people but i dont care.

You are in a different country Rick,where as you have said things are completly different.Here you can mate anything and everything as much as you like!It makes me sick, the thing that is happening now is getting a girl dog, mating her to an inch of her life then dumping her when she cannot take anymore......POOR GIRLS!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:31 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

I'm a foster mum for a local animal sanctuary so I expect you can guess my opinion......

1 Senegal Parrot
2 Beardies
2 Crested Geckos
1 Leopard Gecko
5 Cornsnakes
2 Royal Pythons
3 Torties
2 Guinea Pigs
? Foster Animals

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:19 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

I agree to :( it makes me upset when I look on preloved and gum tree etc

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:19 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Yes i go on there quite often and see hundreds of beardies with terrible set ups and really badly cared for, or some one selling 50 odd babies at once, saw someone who had a 3ft viv selling it with 6 adult beardies, they looked so cramped the poor things

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:44 am 
EGG
EGG

I have to agree and disagree with you on this one. There is no harm in breeding as long as it is done responsibly and new owners vetted. If there was no breeding at all then none of us would have our beloved animals in the first place. Sadly as you say anyone can go into a pet shop and just buy any animal on impulse without proper research. Then you get the knock on effect of the poor soles being abandoned coz people don't realise how much care they need or the novelty wears off. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:56 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

The big problem is still disposal of the young. As you will find out, with the amount of indiscriminate breeding going on year after year there is an over-abundance of babies available making it nigh on impossible to get a home for all those that you hatch. I see in your intro. that you are just starting to incubate your second clutch having found the first buried in the enclosure. I assume that the first clutch have been disposed of (hopefully freezing them first), with all due respect to your intentions I would recommend that you only incubate 5 or a maximum of 10 eggs. This will keep expenses at a minimum and give you a reasonable chance of finding a good home for the babies. Just as a warning you may expect at least one more clutch this year and unless you separate your dragons, at least 3 and up to 5 clutches each year from now on. Probably not what you wanted to hear but regretfully it does have to be said.
However that having been said we will help with any advice you need during the incubation and rearing process. Have you read through the stickies at the top of this section yet, they will give you a fair idea of what to expect over the next few months.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:23 pm 
EGG
EGG

Totally understand where your coming from Rick and yes the eggs were frozen before being disposed of. As soon as I found them I was straight on the phone to the reptile shop I get my supplies from for advice and an arrangement made before taking the decision to incubate. As for the cohabitating now they're 'active' so to speak they will be getting seperated as soon as the new vivs have arrived on monday. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:14 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Good luck :D

Rick

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:58 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

My opinion on this is simple;

If you have a wonderful and unique or rare morph that is in high demand then go for it however, if the market is absolutely saturated of animals similar to the ones you will produce then you are being irresponsible and quite simply are wasting your time and the health/life of your animals and their young.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:25 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

We have been having some work done on the house ; the guy doing the work said he has a Beardie and he knows a reptile shop were you can take your Beardie and they try it with different Beardies to see which ones will pair with your dragon just to get your Beardie mated :evil: he said he was taking his female as fancied hatching some eggs (I told him my views and told him to look on this forum ) Its awful :x

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

I brought my two adult beat dies from gum tree and have just rescued two more from someone that didn't want hem anymore these two new ones have stumpy tails, one was kept in a viv sized at 1ftx1ft!! This was shocking it also had only a heat may and no UVB bulb! Is now in much bigger viv with correct lighting. The other also has a stumpy tail but is in a great big viv proper lightin etc so she must have got them to put together but it didn't work out, she kept that one in that tiny viv for a year!