mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:27 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

So as responsible reptile owners what does everyone do to ensure their beardie is stimulated and its life is enriched?

Im sure we have all watched a zoo programme or two and seen the keepers thinking up new weird and wonderful things in there animal enclosers to stimulate and motivate the animals to move about and use there brain etc

I ensure live food always has a good head start so she really has to hunt for it and move her butt to catch it. I re arrange her viv furniture so she has a new layout every time i clean her out and i also put food in harder to reach places so she has to search for it and reach to get it etc rather than just sit at a bowl and scoff till she is full (Dont get me wrong i dont do this every day but most days)

So what do you do to enrich your beardies life? (and can i pinch your ideas coz im running out fast, lol)

Ant. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:05 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

We used to put empty loo rolls/ kitchen tubes in. Also I used to peel an apple (give it to the live food), cut a bit off to chop up for the salad and then put the rest in whole. Guess what she did....................nothing :roll: Completely ignored the tubes and anything we used to put in.
She loved it if we put the footstool right up so the cats could sit there.
Window sills are another good idea, just watch the temp of the sun through the glass though.

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As they mature lizards aren't the most active of creatures - all they want to do is bask! I'd suggest making her habitat as 'normal' as possible using some of Andy's (HadesDragons) ideas, but don't expect her to be very active! Shrek and Fi have been in the same position since 9am this morning! :lol:

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:10 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Currently in the process of building a new viv. Well thats pretty much done so now concentrating on my fake rock similar to Andy's idea (although jealously not as elaborate) which gives a better dimension to her home and hopefully more realistic to a natural enviroment ... he says with confidence, lol :oops:

I think the 'make your own' polysterene and tile grout fake rock stuff is the new craze. Everyone seems to be doin git and its great fun as well. Pics to follow :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:55 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Make them work for their food - that's about the only motivator that beardie have!

As well as giving livefood a head start, try getting your beardie out and getting it to play "morio worm fetch". Sit on the floor with some morio worms, get one out and show it to your beardie, then throw it a couple of metres away. The beardie chases and eats it. Then show it another one so it runs back to you. Then throw that one a couple of metres away and so on. It's a great way to get them exercising as long as you don't overdo the morios!

Another one I tend to do is to buy some cheap suction clips from B&Q or a supermarket, attach them high up on the side of the cage or the top of the cage, then clip a couple of leaves in. Try to put the leaves so they are a little higher than a beardie can normally reach. If they want the leaves, they've either got to jump for them (which babies do), stand up against the wall, or use a low branch to get a little higher and nearer to the leaves. It'll make the beardies think (about as much as they're capable of!!) about how to get the leaves, as well as giving them a bit of exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great ideas Andy - love the 'fetch' idea! Gonna try that!

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:14 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

I can imagine ours would just look at me as if I was daft :lol:

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Michael's worried it's cruel to the morio worm! :shock: :roll: Sorry Andy - may have to report you to the RSPCA!

And I could actually seeing Shrek looking at me and saying 'you go fetch that, bring it back and then I'll eat it for you'! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:42 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Find the girly works as well. Ours are separated (as they should be) and when Hulk is out he'll race around so that he can see Lucky and put on a performance. When she's out he will chase up and down his enclosure to keep an eye on her as well.

Rick