mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:06 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hello,
My name is Leah and my son, 11, has a bearded dragon (I say my son, but I really mean me seeing as I am the one who spends hours doing the research :) Firstly I'd like to thank all on this forum. Your advice has been invaluable and I don't know if we could know a fraction of what we do without you all.
Having said that! Our beardie (we think it's a she but she's called Bob, full name Spikybob Pricklypants!) is about 8 months old (9 inches and 41g). She is housed in a vivarium to your exacting requirements, fed as advised by you and most definitely kept on kitchen towel, enforced by you :) ! She's a lovely little thing, very friendly, calm and happy.
However, she has taken to digging in her kitchen towel (but doesn't get very far!) and burying herself in a soft cloth in her little cave. She'll spend all day in here and then get too cold to come out (or so it seems) and we have to plan her feeds and take her out to warm up for an hour before hand. She livens up at night and loves coming out and exploring the settee (with us keeping a beady eye on her because she's a jumper!)
She's had a vet's check up and is lovely and healthy and growing well. She hates her veg, except squash, and loves the crickets but is rather lazy and prefers to be hand fed although she will leap after them if they escape, thank goodness!
I hesitate to ask if the burying herself somewhere cold is normal because I can almost hear the barrage of 'yes's' so please be gentle to a new, panicking mum ( I wasn't this bad with my own kids!) My question is just this; is she too young to brumate? Should we leave her alone or continue to get her out for feeding and continue as we are? Okay, that's three questions!
Thank you so much
Ps I will upload a photo as soon as I can (read as, find a sixteen year old to do it for me :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum!

First of all, please remove her cave. Bearded dragons need to be exposed to UVB light for at least 12 hours per day (and even that only equates to about 20 minutes under the strong Australian sun). When she hides away she'll feel ill, which will make her hide away more. Beardies do not need caves or hides, and in this case you have to be cruel to be kind and remove it. I had a similar thing with Fiona when she was around the same age. We could never put the cave back in as she'd just go into it again.

And yes, she is too young to bromate. Even if she tries to slow down keep the lights on the and heat the same as normal and give her as much food as she will take. At her size she will not have built up sufficient fat reserves to get through brumation. You should find she perks up once you get her out into the open more.

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:08 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Only one other thing I an add and that is to provide her with something to hide behind. That way she can still feel secure but also gain the benefit of the UV. She may well still slow down her eating for a while in an attempt to brumate but just keep on as Trish has suggested.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:36 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks both. I've done as advised and we have a happy Bob back again, after a few sulky days!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's great!

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk